Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Wouter Tulp, a Freelance illustrator and Character designer from Holland. He has worked with clients on children books, magazines, and now mostly works with animation studios like SONY, Pixar, Cartoon Saloon.
Get in touch with Wouter
“Stick to your passions. If you follow your own path, you will stand out!”
- Wouter didn’t wait for a big studio to call him, he just decided, from now on I am a character designer. Hi just did extra sketches of character turnarounds, back stories for them and posted that online. That’s how you communicate to people that you are a character designer not what your CV says
- When it comes to character design, it’s not entirely about the final product, but conceptual work. When you realize that characters are extras – real people, somebody who you may even know, maybe a friend you can start thinking about them in real terms, e.g. this character would never do that. The understanding of them as persons, not as drawings, changes the thing
- Wouter discovered early in his career that success and big things don’t happen overnight but it’s a constant hard work and persistence. For example, he had been freelancing for 10 years in Holland before any big studio reached out to him.
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Art tools
- The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin
- Daniel Coyle: The Talent code – greatness is not born, it’s grown with hard work
- Dreamworlds: Production Design for Animation
- Richard Schmid: Alla Prima series
- Animator’s Survival kit
- Steven Katz: Shot by Shot – film directing
- Vivian Maier Photography, John Singer Sargent
- Walt Stanchfield: Drawn to Life series
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Wouter for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Wouter Tulp, used with permission