Odunze is a comic manga artist, storyboard artist, character designer and a writer, originally from Nigeria, now living and working from Texas, United States. He is the author and illustrator of Apple Black comic and Co-Founder of Saturday-AM, the HOME OF THE MOST DIVERSE SHONEN MANGA ANTHOLOGY SINCE 2013.
Get in touch with Odunze
- Apple Black comic: http://www.saturday-am.com/appleblack
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/whytmanga/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/WhytMangaTV
“Always want to improve yourself and don’t quit!”
- Odunze has always wanted to be a comic books author and illustrator. He went straight for his goal and it was actually an easy decision. Now, even if he lost his hands and couldn’t draw, he would fight to tell his story somehow!
- Odunze says that school helps you to connect with people to tie things and put things together easier
- About YouTube, Odunze advises that first, you need to know to be a YouTuber and then an artist. YouTube is a ‘beast’ on its own.
- Odunze says you shouldn’t let perfection stop you from doing anything. At the end of the day, nobody is perfect!
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Odunze’s comic books Apple Black
- Odunze’s’ early influences: Pokemon, One Piece, Bleach series
- Co-Founder of SaturdayAM – Frederick Jones
- #summerofmanga – each summer SaturdayAM try to find creators out there
- YouTube tool – TubeBuddy – helps you work with production more efficiently
- Art Tools: Wacom tablets
- Learning tools: Skillshare
Special thanks to Odunze for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Odunze Oguguo, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.154: Should I be a freelancer or work for a studio with Richard Anderson
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Richard Anderson, a freelance concept artist, in London. He works on games, films, commercials and publishing with clients such as Marvel Studios, Warner Bros, Universal Pictures, 20th Century FOX, and others.
Ep.104: Ben Fiquet on being a video games artist
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ben Fiquet, an illustrator, and CEO of Lizardcube game studio. He has worked on different projects with companies like Dreamworks, Chez Eddy, King.com. A recent release is Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap.
Ep.184: Interview highlights – Advice for artists starting out
This episode is about highlights from the previous Art Side of Life interviews. Pernille Oerum, John Nevarez, Audra Auclair, Nathan Fowkes, Eliza Ivanova, Asia Ladowska, Sean A Murray and Ahmed Aldoori share their tips and advice for artists just starting out.
Ep.72: Dave Malan on how to have a successful freelancing career with 4 kids
David is a professional artist of over 15 years. He's worked as a production artist, an illustrator, and a fine artist with clients from around the globe.
Ep.117: How to get internship in Disney with Tyler ‘Ty’ Amato
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Tyler Amato, an Illustrator and Art Director from Florida. She has worked in Disney's Yellow Shoes Creative Group, the in-house creative shop for Disney Destinations.