Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Victoria Ying, author, and artist from LA. Her film credits include Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Paperman, Big Hero 6, and Moana. She was featured in the book Lovely – Ladies in Animation.
Get in touch with Victoria
“Be unique and be special, that means being yourself in the best way possible!”
- Victoria advises, when you are applying for a big studio, like Dreamworks or Pixar, check out their ‘Art of” books to understand their style and select your portfolio artworks based on that. Have a portfolio for each studio and each role if you are into different artistic fields.
- Victoria was a very focused and serious student and she wishes she was more open to experience other things. It took her some time to open up
- Victoria says that reading novels opened up her imagination a lot and inspired her current career of being author-artist
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Lovely – Ladies of Animation – a book where Victoria’s work is featured
- Meow! – Victoria’s book for children
- “Art of” books to research the studios
- Recommended tool: Bullet journal
Special thanks to Victoria for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Victoria Ying, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.97: Take your time to find your style with Alexandra Vuorio aka Kasvei
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Alexandra Vuorio, aka Kasvei from Finland. She is a self-taught digital and watercolor artist, most known for painting whimsical female characters connected with nature.
Ep.144: Write and illustrate your own book series with Ruby Roth
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ruby Roth, artist, designer, and the author-illustrator of four books for kids on veganism. Ruby focuses on art direction, and illustration for clients in fashion, art, music, and entertainment.
Ep.190: Part 1 – From Architecture to Comics with Nina Vakueva (sirpangur)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Nina Vakueva, on Instagram known as Sirpangur, a comic artist and freelancer from Russia known for webcomic “Lilith’s word”.
Ep.168: Life of a concept artist in a studio with Esben Lash Rasmussen from Riot Games
Esben L. Rasmussen, a Concept Artist & Illustrator, originally from Denmark, currently working as a Senior Illustrator at RIOT Games in LA.
Ep.38: Mattias Adolfsson on importance of details in your artwork and starting from scratch
Mattias is a freelance illustrator living just outside of Stockholm, Sweden. He is most known for his detailed ink illustrations,
Ep.130: Learn something new everyday with Francis Boncales
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Francis Boncales, a Concept Artist, Illustrator, Visdev artist currently working as a background painter in Warner Bros Animation. He has also worked for Hasbro Studios, Mrs. Wordsmith, Duncan Studio.