Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Victoria Ying, author, and artist from LA. Her film credits include Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Paperman, Big Hero 6, and Moana. She was featured in the book Lovely – Ladies in Animation.
Get in touch with Victoria
“Be unique and be special, that means being yourself in the best way possible!”
- Victoria advises, when you are applying for a big studio, like Dreamworks or Pixar, check out their ‘Art of” books to understand their style and select your portfolio artworks based on that. Have a portfolio for each studio and each role if you are into different artistic fields.
- Victoria was a very focused and serious student and she wishes she was more open to experience other things. It took her some time to open up
- Victoria says that reading novels opened up her imagination a lot and inspired her current career of being author-artist
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Lovely – Ladies of Animation – a book where Victoria’s work is featured
- Meow! – Victoria’s book for children
- “Art of” books to research the studios
- Recommended tool: Bullet journal
Special thanks to Victoria for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Victoria Ying, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.132: How to use networking to find a job with Isaac Orloff
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Isaac Orloff, a visdev artist from LA. He has worked on television shows, games, and film projects with Zynga, Marvel animation, and Dreamworks. He is also known for the Sketch Dailies project.
Ep.153: How much should I charge for my art with Lei Melendres (Doodle Art Enthusiasts)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lei Melendres, a freelance illustrator, and professional doodle artist from the Philippines. He currently serves as the Head of Doodle Art Enthusiasts, and as a Creative Director of Doodle Arts Magazine.
Ep.104: Ben Fiquet on being a video games artist
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ben Fiquet, an illustrator, and CEO of Lizardcube game studio. He has worked on different projects with companies like Dreamworks, Chez Eddy, King.com. A recent release is Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap.
Ep.112: Ashley Spires on how to choose your art agent
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ashley Spires, a children books Author and illustrator. She has published more than 20 books and worked with clients like Penguin Random House and Kids Can Press. She is the creator of the Binky The Space Cat.
Ep.92: Running your own design studio with Alli Koch
Alli is the founder and designer of Alli K Design. She’s been practicing her handwriting and put it to good use with Alli K Design.