Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Valerie Bastille, a freelance illustrator in Montreal. Her work, both digital and traditional, is influenced by nature, including floral elements, bringing the sense of motion to her illustrations.
Get in touch with Valerie
“There is always something you can bring to the people. Everyone has something to show to the world!”
- Valerie says she is self-taught and that the best way to learn is by observation. She progressed the most when she used to meet with friends every week doing life drawing, everyone from the group would do poses, the 20s, 30s, 1 minute, etc.
- To avoid the art block, Valerie suggests trying different mediums and switching around to always get new inspiration. Art is about problem-solving so don’t get stuck to one thing.
- Valerie recommends bringing a lot of smaller items to sell at the conventions because many artists buy only small items like postcards, stickers, and pins.
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through some links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info: our disclosure.
- Schools, Valerie attended: Cegep du Vieux Montreal & Dawson College
- Book: The World According to Garp by John Irving – the character in the book never finishes things because of perfectionism, it reminds her of ‘Finished, not perfect” by Jake Parker
- Recommended Convention – Otakuthon Montreal
Special thanks to Valerie for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Valerie Bastille, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.79: The vision behind your brand with Sarah Amijo (Big Bear and Bird)
Sarah is the founder of Big Bear & Bird store based in Indonesia. Her aim is to create one-of-a-kind illustrations and exquisitely unique design ideas.
Ep.51: Bryan Sims on why you don’t have to go to expensive school to do animation
Bryan Sims is a Los Angeles based artist, a graduate of Art Center College of Design with a passion for visual development, story, character, and sketching.
Ep.55: Arucelli on having fun with art and being open to learning from everyone
Arucelli is a digital artist from North Carolina. She is most known for drawing anime and colorful Manga style with a fantasy feel.
Ep.23: How to succeed in the world of children’s books with Gene Barretta
Gene is a highly accomplished and awarded children's book author and illustrator, animator and character designer.
Ep.40: Lärienne (lariennechan) on how to succeed in different social media
Lärienne, a traditional and digital freelance illustrator from Poland brings various characters, concepts, symbolism, and stories to life.