Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Valerie Bastille, a freelance illustrator in Montreal. Her work, both digital and traditional, is influenced by nature, including floral elements, bringing the sense of motion to her illustrations.
Get in touch with Valerie
“There is always something you can bring to the people. Everyone has something to show to the world!”
- Valerie says she is self-taught and that the best way to learn is by observation. She progressed the most when she used to meet with friends every week doing life drawing, everyone from the group would do poses, the 20s, 30s, 1 minute, etc.
- To avoid the art block, Valerie suggests trying different mediums and switching around to always get new inspiration. Art is about problem-solving so don’t get stuck to one thing.
- Valerie recommends bringing a lot of smaller items to sell at the conventions because many artists buy only small items like postcards, stickers, and pins.
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Schools, Valerie attended: Cegep du Vieux Montreal & Dawson College
- Book: The World According to Garp by John Irving – the character in the book never finishes things because of perfectionism, it reminds her of ‘Finished, not perfect” by Jake Parker
- Recommended Convention – Otakuthon Montreal
Special thanks to Valerie for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Valerie Bastille, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.178: About different social platforms with Alpaca Carlesi
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Alpaca Carlesi, a Freelance Illustrator from Chile! She likes to draw in different styles, digital and traditional, especially anime and fanart.
Ep.4: Creating comics on Patreon and YouTube with LavenderTowne
Lavender Towne is a comic book artist, a Ravenclaw, and a little sleepy. She is doing pretty well on Patreon and YouTube!
Ep.112: Ashley Spires on how to choose your art agent
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ashley Spires, a children books Author and illustrator. She has published more than 20 books and worked with clients like Penguin Random House and Kids Can Press. She is the creator of the Binky The Space Cat.
Ep.8: Why doing art equals running a business with Erin Dollar from Cotton & Flax
Erin is the designer and maker behind Cotton & Flax, a line of handmade textile home goods, which she founded in 2012.
Ep.157: Your role with your art is to communicate, not to be perfect with Fran Meneses aka Frannerd
Fran Meneses, aka Frannerd, a freelance illustrator in the UK. She is currently workingon supporting her art community on Patreon, YouTube, and Instagram.