Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Tyson Murphy, a Principal Artist at Riot Games, the creators of The League of Legends. He used to work as a Lead Character Artist on World of Warcraft at Blizzard Entertainment.
Get in touch with Tyson
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tysmurph/
- Tumblr: http://tysonmurphy.tumblr.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tyson.d.murphy
“Just the focus on the quantity of your work brings you the satisfaction of growth as an artist”
- The best advice Tyson got may sound counterintuitive, but it’s true when it comes to learning. He tells a story about 2 potters who are tasked to make a perfect pot. The first one is allowed to work on only one pot and make it perfect and the second one can make as many as he wants. Which one do you think made the perfect pot?
- Tyson advises that you have a focus in art, but not too narrow. He as an art director, he has to know the craft of different artistic roles!
- Tyson is inspired and fired up just being around other people doing something that they are super passionate about and making the difference
- Games, Tyson worked on Blizzard
- Art tools:
- School, Tyson went to Brigham Young University BYU
Special thanks to Tyson for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Tyson Murphy, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Hi, I am Iva (rhymes with “viva”). I am a full-time self-taught artist behind Art Side of Life® and a Top Teacher on Skillshare. I have 15 years of experience in the creative field as a concept designer, illustrator, art director, and now freelance artist, content creator, and art instructor. My goal is to help you get your creative groove on with Procreate and make awesome art through practical classes, tutorials, Procreate brushes, and guides on art tools, supplies and resources. About me »
More Podcast Episodes:
Evolve Artist Academy: From Aspiring Artist To Success Story with Piper Talladay
Discover how Piper, head instructor at Evolve Artist Academy, helps aspiring artists turn their dreams into success stories in the world of oil painting.
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.207: On being a Creative Director, Illustrator, and Educator with Greg Gunn
I am chatting with Greg Gunn. He is a creative director, illustrator, and animator from LA. He helps passionate people communicate their big ideas.
Ep.206: Beatrice “Bea” Blue on the importance of enjoying the journey
I am catching up with Beatrice Blue. We chat about what she has been up to since we talked last time - her time in Montreal, her new books and much more.
Ep.205: Art licensing tips with Bonnie Christine
Bonnie Christine, an artist and pattern & textile designer. She is most known for her flowery designs, making artworks for companies & products.
Ep.204: Illustration for Motion Design with Sarah Beth Morgan
Sarah Beth Morgan, a freelance art director, motion designer & illustrator based in Portland. She has worked with Gentleman Scholar and Oddfellows.