Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Tyson Murphy, a Principal Artist at Riot Games, the creators of The League of Legends. He used to work as a Lead Character Artist on World of Warcraft at Blizzard Entertainment.
Get in touch with Tyson
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tysmurph/
- Tumblr: http://tysonmurphy.tumblr.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tyson.d.murphy
“Just the focus on the quantity of your work brings you the satisfaction of growth as an artist”
- The best advice Tyson got may sound counterintuitive, but it’s true when it comes to learning. He tells a story about 2 potters who are tasked to make a perfect pot. The first one is allowed to work on only one pot and make it perfect and the second one can make as many as he wants. Which one do you think made the perfect pot?
- Tyson advises that you have a focus in art, but not too narrow. He as an art director, he has to know the craft of different artistic roles!
- Tyson is inspired and fired up just being around other people doing something that they are super passionate about and making the difference
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Games, Tyson worked on Blizzard
- Art tools:
- School, Tyson went to Brigham Young University BYU
Special thanks to Tyson for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Tyson Murphy, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.170: The Filmmaking artist with Kesh
Kesh, a freelance illustrator and filmmaker from India, most known for his popular YouTube channel where he shares art tips and tricks
Ep.63: Talia Zoref and her journey to working with Vogue, ELLE, Glamour, HM, Gucci and Moschino
With a great passion for fashion, Talia Zoref creates art for big brands like Vogue, ELLE, Cosmo, Glamour, HM, Gucci, MAC or Moschino.
Ep.129: Why you should welcome feedback for your art with Pernille Ørum
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Pernille Ørum, a freelance illustrator and character designer from Denmark. Her clients include Disney, Warner Bros, Mattel, and Nickelodeon. She was the lead character designer on DC Superhero Girls.
Ep.35: Why you should take advice from people who are where you want to be with Lord Gris
Lord Gris is a Game assets designer. She creates most of her artworks digitally and she also produces prints and stickers from her creations.
Ep.160: Think before you start drawing with Modern Day James
Modern Day James, an artist, designer, and musician known for his popular YouTube channel and Patreon.
Ep.151: Atey Ghailan aka Snatti on why should always have your personal art projects
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Atey Ghailan, a.k.a Snatti, a concept artist, and illustrator, in LA. He works as Senior Illustrator and concept artist at Riot Games. In his free time, he works on his personal project called Path of Miranda.