Matt Boismier, also known as Tooninator, is a character designer and animation art director originally from Ontario, now living and working in Vancouver, Canada.
Matt’s father, a fine artist, introduced him to art, and since early childhood, he knew he wanted to have a career only in arts. He studied “tradigital” animation, a combination of traditional and CGI animation, but his dream and goal were always to become a character designer. He built his portfolio with this goal in mind and got jobs in several studios.
He has currently refocused his life on his new project of living more flexible lifestyle under the motto of “Live Life, draw” and is documenting his journey on his YouTube channel.
Get in touch with Matt
- Website: http://www.tooninator.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetooninator/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/2ninator
“Finished is better than perfect. Being naive is the best thing you can do in terms of creation. You can have an impact on so many things by just finishing and putting it out there!”
- Best lesson Matt got from his father, an artist was actually what he didn’t tell him. He just watched him and his father allowed him to be creative!
- Matt’s first big gigs came from attending CTNx2011 when he showed his portfolio. He prepared it on an iPad, which was new and his artworks looked very good. He wanted to be a character designer and this goal was very important because you have to create a portfolio for a job you want, otherwise, nobody can place you. If you like more things, create multiple portfolios – e.g. character design and environments, etc.
- Matt loves passionate people. If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well! Doesn’t matter what he did in his previous career he always did it the best he could.
- Matt is driven by sports and getting outside, nothing to do with arts. It’s amazing how many opportunities he got thanks to this!
- Matt’s opinion about art books is that they are inherently good resource, but what is tricky is that you are trying to digest all this information before you are capable of understanding it. You have to put in ‘pencil milage’ = fundamentals before you level up. First master one thing and then branch out
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Adobe CC – Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator
- iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and ProCreate App – rough sketches not finished pieces
- Watercolors & paper
- Winsor & Newton travel kit and tiny pouch and small sketchbook – watercolors – travel journal
- iSCA – International Society of Caricature Artists – Matt won best Digital Caricature artist prize in 2009
- Creative Talent Network Expo – Matt got his first studio gigs attending this conference in 2011
Special thanks to Matt for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Matt Boismier, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.183: Part 2 – How to grow on Instagram with David Alvarez (davexp)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with David Alvarez, also known as DaveXP on Instagram who is a digital artist and illustrator from Costa Rica.
Ep.86: What it takes to be a great artist with Nathan Fowkes
Nathan Fowkes is a veteran artist with screen credits on 11 feature films including The Prince of Egypt, Spirit, Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon, The Legend of Puss in Boots, Rio 2 and recently Ferdinand.
Ep.175: About running art classes and workshops with Lois van Baarle (Loish)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lois van Baarle, also known online as Loish. We talk about her experiences from the past year, how she conquered the fear of doing workshops and how it makes her whole now! We also touch upon a subject of 3rd book Lois wants to publish in the future!
Ep.35: Why you should take advice from people who are where you want to be with Lord Gris
Lord Gris is a Game assets designer. She creates most of her artworks digitally and she also produces prints and stickers from her creations.
Ep.73: From studying psychology to becoming a full time artist with Gosia Kmiec (Mkmiec Art)
Małgorzata is a freelance 2D artist, specializing in digital illustration and concept art (focusing on character and creature design).
Ep.132: How to use networking to find a job with Isaac Orloff
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Isaac Orloff, a visdev artist from LA. He has worked on television shows, games, and film projects with Zynga, Marvel animation, and Dreamworks. He is also known for the Sketch Dailies project.