Devin started her professional freelance illustrator career when she was only 15 years old! She creates stunning animals, creatures, and natural environment work. She loves to tutor and teach other artists as well and you can learn from her during private consultations or from her tutorials on Patreon and Gumroad.
Last year Devin started working as a Background Designer for the Rough Draft Studios in Burbank, who do art and animation for Futurama and also the newest project by Matt Groening and Netflix called Disenchantment.
Get in touch with Devin
- Website: http://www.devinellekurtz.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/devinellekurtz/
- Deviant Art: https://tamberella.deviantart.com/
“Draw something every day, even if it’s just a tiny doodle, keep the energy flowing!”
- Devin discovered at the age of 12 that she can make money by doing pet portraits. At the age of 15 she was already taking freelance jobs from game studios, children websites, phone apps, etc. Now she works for an animation studio because she wanted to work in a collaborative, team environment.
- Devin says it can be difficult to get going and you have to think long term. Few years ahead, budget yourself and plan your future
- It all comes down to three things – you are either exceptionally good, or you are really marketable or you are really friendly. If you have all three, you are “golden”. It’s enough to have just two of those, though.
- Devin’s purpose in life is to make art education more accessible to more people
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Classes Devin took from Concept Design Academy in Pasadena
- Art Tools
- Fav movies
- Learning resources
Special thanks to Devin for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Devin Elle Kurtz, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.139: Chris Ayers on what makes a great character designer
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Chris Ayers, a Character Designer, and Story Artist from LA. He has worked with Dreamworks, Sony Pictures, Disney TV and others. He is known for his book series Daily Zoo, drawing one animal a day.
Ep.141: Don’t fear rejection and always get up with Nikolas Draper-Ivey
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Nikolas Draper-Ivey, an illustrator, and writer in NY. His work includes Star Wars and Disney Characters re-imagined as Marvel Characters. He has recently worked on the cover for Marvel’s Black Panther album!
Ep.131: How to make living by doing traditional art with Lioba Brückner
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lioba Brückner, a painter based in Germany, most known for portraying young women in a surrealistic manner superimposed by plants or insects. She runs a very popular art YouTube channel full of tutorials.
Ep.58: Carlos Ortega Elizalde about learning 3D art by himself and his artistic journey
Carlos is a self taught 3D artist and graphic designer from Mexico. He is most known for his stunning character designs, perfectly rendered in 3D.
Ep.3: How to succeed at big animation studio with Eliza Ivanova from Pixar
Eliza Ivanova, originally from Sofia, Bulgaria is an animator and illustrator based in San Francisco and currently working with Pixar Animation Studios.