Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Gary Ham, an illustrator, designer, and producer of handmade wooden toys. He is the owner of Superham Designs and a winner of multiple Designer Toy Awards!
Get in touch with Gary
- Website: http://www.superham.com/about/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gary.ham.5
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/garyham/
“Just have fun! Practice, practice, practice to get better and explore to grow!”
- Gary’s best advice from his parents was not to be afraid to jump on something, even if you don’t know how to do it. You can always learn on the go. They would encourage him to join newspaper contests, bIllboard contests, etc.
- Gary loves toys, he is a collector. He has been collecting toys since childhood. Toys aesthetics appeal to him
- Gary describes his brand as a very cute based, retro, vintage, very cartoony, using simple shapes, whimsical, cute fun!
- Designer toys is a very niche market, Gary says, and you need to develop fan base who is interested in it. Design toys are limited edition industry and it doesn’t move a lot of units
- Gary advises, if you want to start, you need to learn to make toys, e.g. manufacturing design, industrial techniques, the molding process. You need to do a lot of research and experimentation.
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Gary’s podcast – Marsham Toy Hour
- Designer toys blogs
- Art tools: Wacom Cintiq
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Gary for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Gary Ham, used with permission