Stephen was born in London, England. When he was 10 years old, he moved with his family to the US.
He aspired to be a professional artist his whole life and he knew very early on that drawing would be his vocation.
Stephen has designed characters for Disney Television Animation, Sony Feature Animation and Nickelodeon Animation, designing the style of the shows such as “Kim Possible”, “Danny Phantom” Kevin Smith’s “Clerks” the animated series, and many more.
He is the author and artist of 7 self-published books on the art of sketching, character design, caricature and life drawing.
In addition to working freelance, and doing lectures, he is the owner of Silver Drawing Academy, an art school, located in Los Angeles, CA. He also teaches character design courses online at Schoolism.
Get in touch with Stephen
- Website: https://www.silvertoons.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stephensilver
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvNO82-AgrJFYNkvdBWKSng
“Find out what is it that truly ignites you. Don’t be afraid of failure. Try to learn something new every day from different fields … know you are on the journey, so learn and grow!”
- Stephen says that our whole life is about the journey and there is no destination. That next awesome job in a big studio? That’s not the end, that’s just part of your journey. That big client you want to work with? Again, just a part of your journey. Don’t settle!
- People will remember their teachers in life, not academy winners. Stephen remembers, what his parents taught him, what his teachers taught him. That’s what is vitally important in life.
- Stephen uses ‘batch processing’ to organize his work and life, e.g. every Tuesday is about Skype mentorship calls, every Wednesday is about life drawing, etc. Wallace Wattles – “Don’t do tomorrow’s work today”
- To find your style, you need to experiment with everything, try things out, everything ties to everything else – guitar, oil painting, anything!
- Stephen says it is foolish to have only one job in this world. Reality is that you will start to be unfulfilled working for somebody else. You need to have multiple campfires going on and income from different sources. His income sources are from the online school, workshops, live school, apps, books, conventions, and freelance.
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Stephen’s books
- Stephen’s school and classes
- Stephen’s inspiration when he was a teenager – Hanna Barbera, Norman Rockwell
- Referenced quote from Wallace Wattles – “Don’t do tomorrow’s work today
- Stephen’s fav meditation is walking meditation, in his mind he is being mindful about what he is doing in the moment. Calm provides guidance for this type of meditation
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Stephen for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Stephen Silver, used with permission