Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Atey Ghailan, a.k.a Snatti, a concept artist, and illustrator, in LA. He works as Senior Illustrator and concept artist at Riot Games. In his free time, he works on his personal project called Path of Miranda.
Get in touch with Atey
“Try to be honest with yourself as an artist, even when you start working professionally, don’t stop your personal work, don’t stop developing your own ‘voice’!”
- Atey confesses that when he started, he didn’t learn fundamentals, his perspective, values, colors were off, but it also motivated him to research, learn and get better, so he mastered the fundamentals and then he started adding narrative on top of his artworks
- Atey is super observant of everything, paying attention to stuff he likes and why he likes it and is always sketching everything.
- Atey wishes he focused more before. When he started working for the companies he only did what they asked for, but he wishes he did more of his personal work and what he wants to draw.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Path of Miranda – a story about a young girl and her friends Toki the penguin and Ulf the corgi. We follow them on their journey in uncovering the mystery of the disappearing robots.
- James Gurney – Color & Light
- Art tools
Special thanks to Atey for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Atey Ghailan, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.83: Old masters and the simplicity with Chris Solarski
Chris is a game designer and author who specializes in the relationships between video game aesthetics and user experience.
Ep.63: Talia Zoref and her journey to working with Vogue, ELLE, Glamour, HM, Gucci and Moschino
With a great passion for fashion, Talia Zoref creates art for big brands like Vogue, ELLE, Cosmo, Glamour, HM, Gucci, MAC or Moschino.
Ep.107: Follow your dreams with Prem Sai GS
Prem is a Character Designer currently residing in San Francisco, CA. He previously worked as a design intern at DreamWorks Feature Animation, Glendale.
Ep.4: Creating comics on Patreon and YouTube with LavenderTowne
Lavender Towne is a comic book artist, a Ravenclaw, and a little sleepy. She is doing pretty well on Patreon and YouTube!
Ep.189: Favorite Art Supplies – Interview Highlights
Hey, guys! This episode is about highlights from the previous Art Side of Life interviews. Alisa Vysochina, Tomasz Mro, Chantal Horeis, Marco Bucci, Djamila Knopf, and Carrosurreal share their favorite art supplies and art tools.