Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Atey Ghailan, a.k.a Snatti, a concept artist, and illustrator, in LA. He works as Senior Illustrator and concept artist at Riot Games. In his free time, he works on his personal project called Path of Miranda.
Get in touch with Atey
“Try to be honest with yourself as an artist, even when you start working professionally, don’t stop your personal work, don’t stop developing your own ‘voice’!”
- Atey confesses that when he started, he didn’t learn fundamentals, his perspective, values, colors were off, but it also motivated him to research, learn and get better, so he mastered the fundamentals and then he started adding narrative on top of his artworks
- Atey is super observant of everything, paying attention to stuff he likes and why he likes it and is always sketching everything.
- Atey wishes he focused more before. When he started working for the companies he only did what they asked for, but he wishes he did more of his personal work and what he wants to draw.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Path of Miranda – a story about a young girl and her friends Toki the penguin and Ulf the corgi. We follow them on their journey in uncovering the mystery of the disappearing robots.
- James Gurney – Color & Light
- Art tools
Special thanks to Atey for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Atey Ghailan, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.100: About the legacy of your work with Daniel Lieske (Wormworld Saga)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Daniel Lieske, a full-time author, and illustrator, known for his famous digital graphic novel Wormworld saga. He is also the founder of digitalartforum.de one of the biggest German digital art community.
Ep.36: Family life and art career with Nerea Mas
Nerea, also known as Ne is a Spanish illustrator, character designer and concept artist from one of my most favorite cities in the world, Barcelona.
Ep.42: How to develop your art skills with Rachel Favelle (Pop Surrealist Artist)
Rachel is a Contemporary Pop - Surrealist Artist. With degrees in Illustration and Education, she has been working in the field of Art Education since 2000.
Ep.153: How much should I charge for my art with Lei Melendres (Doodle Art Enthusiasts)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lei Melendres, a freelance illustrator, and professional doodle artist from the Philippines. He currently serves as the Head of Doodle Art Enthusiasts, and as a Creative Director of Doodle Arts Magazine.
Ep.180: How to negotiate your prices properly with Ruby Lee
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ruby Lee, a character designer from NZ with experience in film and TV. She worked as Lead Designer, Art Director for Nickelodeon and 7Towns and as Costume Designer on Hobbit, Elysium, Ghost in the Shell.