Kerby Rosanes is a Philippines-based illustrator who works mainly with ordinary black fine liners to magically illustrate his “doodle” world. He considers his art as a personal hobby which turned out to be his part-time freelance work after being recognized by various design blogs, international magazines, and online art communities.
Most of his works are characterized by whimsical lines, patterns, characters and little elements that are spontaneously combined to create massive compositions depicting his everyday inspirations or scenes from his quirky imagination.
In 2014, Kerby left his job as a graphic designer in a local company to finally pursue his passion: creating more art for personal projects and for various clients while collaborating with other artists and design agencies around the world.
At 25, Kerby has published five books including The New York Times best-seller, Animorphia in 2015, which is now available in 29 language editions in over 40 countries. The success of his books paved the way for him to travel the world while making art and attending events including live TV appearances on BBC World News and ABC’s Good Morning America in 2016.
Get in touch with Kerby
- Website: http://kerbyrosanes.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kerbyrosanes/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sketchystoriesblog/
“Never quit drawing!”
- When Kerby studied IT, because of the promise of viable career, he never stopped joining art clubs, art contests or doodling during math classes
- After graduating, Kerby worked in online marketing but also doing digital design, graphic design. He stayed there for two years, before going freelance. The transition was difficult because suddenly he lost the security, but he was reminded by his mom, if you think you can do it, just do it, don’t be afraid to fail
- Developing art style was difficult for Kerby like for anybody, but he just explored a lot of mediums. The only one medium and style that stuck was doodling. B&W drawing, no color, nature, and fantasy. He shared it on social media and got a tremendous response!
- Kerby says on ‘fame’ that you have to do it. You got into this business and you don’t have a choice. He wouldn’t be this successful without his fans and audience. He always gives back, he always responds to the fan comments and questions.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Kerby’s books
- Sketchy Stories – The Sketchbook Art of Kerby Rosanes
- Doodle Invasion – Zifflin’s Coloring Book
- Animorphia – An Extreme Colouring and Search Challenge
- Never Quit Drawing – Sketch Your Way to An Everyday Art Habit
- Imagimorphia – An Extreme Colouring and Search Challenge
- Mythomorphia – An Extreme Colouring and Search Challenge
- Fantomorphia – An Extreme Colouring and Search Challenge
- Fav Anime – Studio Ghibli, Dragon Ball Z, now One Piece – collects figs (800+ episodes)
- Ubisoft & Kerby collab – 360 illustration for their 2017 loot box
- Fav artists – Jack Kirby, Alex Ross (comic books)
- Art tools
- Digital tools
Also have a look: Best Markers for Coloring Adult Coloring Books in 2022
Special thanks to Kerby for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Kerby Rosanes, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.37: Why going to art school might not be the best for you with Chantal Horeis
Chantal is an Illustrator and concept artist from Germany. She attended the Art Academy in Düsseldorf, where she trained to draw and paint traditionally.
Ep.38: Mattias Adolfsson on importance of details in your artwork and starting from scratch
Mattias is a freelance illustrator living just outside of Stockholm, Sweden. He is most known for his detailed ink illustrations,
Ep.91: Dan Howard on the importance of attending conventions
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Dan Howard, full-time freelance illustrator and concept artist from LA. He has worked with clients such as Rocket Games, UbiSoft, Riot Games, Flight Comics, and Fantasy Flight Games, just to name a few.
Ep.204: Illustration for Motion Design with Sarah Beth Morgan
Sarah Beth Morgan, a freelance art director, motion designer & illustrator based in Portland. She has worked with Gentleman Scholar and Oddfellows.
Ep.85: Hieu Nguyen (Kelogsloops) on capturing feelings in your artworks
Hieu Nguyen, better known by his artist name Kelogsloops, is a digital and watercolor artist based out of Melbourne, Australia.