Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Shivam Thapliyal, an artist and graphic designer from India. He is a self-taught artist, learning Photoshop since he was 11 years old. His work ranges from simple geometric compositions to 3d renderings.
Get in touch with Shivam
“Just observe a lot – the shapes, colors, textures and it will help you put your ideas well on the paper. It’s almost like using LEGO to put things together!”
- Shivam always learned from other artists whom he found interesting. He liked a collage book full of illustrations so he found about the artists as much as possible. He liked the design on the bag of chips so he found the artist and learned about him as much as possible. If he could, he reached out to them personally as well and some of them became his mentors
- Shivam says he was fortunate to be mentored by some of his artistic heroes and the process always included assignments, from concepts to practice
- Knowing your target audience and the media your artwork will be used in is very important part of the whole art process, Shivam shares.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Art inspiration – DKNG Studios & Owen Davey Illustration
- Digital art tools –
Special thanks to Shivam for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Shivam Thapliyal, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- INPRNT – Are you looking for a top quality print shop and online store to sell your prints? Then you should definitely check out INPRNT! INPRNT has been helping artists print and sell gallery quality prints of their work all over the world for over a decade. Go to artsideoflife.com/inprnt and use promo code artside to get 10% discount.
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.119: Make mistakes to learn with Zacharias Reinhardt
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Zacharias Reinhardt, a 3D artist and Blender trainer from Germany. He shares his knowledge in 200+ tutorials on YouTube. His 3D work has been featured in 3D Artist, Artstation, and BlenderNation.
Ep.104: Ben Fiquet on being a video games artist
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ben Fiquet, an illustrator, and CEO of Lizardcube game studio. He has worked on different projects with companies like Dreamworks, Chez Eddy, King.com. A recent release is Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap.
Ep.142: How to protect your IP with Jessica Fong from Lonely Egg Studio
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Jessica Fong, an illustrator with the traditional art background and a co-founder of indie game studio Lonely Egg.The studio develops highly artistic games with their first game "In the Keeper's Shadow".
Ep.130: Learn something new everyday with Francis Boncales
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Francis Boncales, a Concept Artist, Illustrator, Visdev artist currently working as a background painter in Warner Bros Animation. He has also worked for Hasbro Studios, Mrs. Wordsmith, Duncan Studio.
Ep.150: How to come up with ideas and inspiration for your art with Eeva Nikunen
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Eeva Nikunen, fantasy artist from Finland, author, and illustrator of Stargazers & Enchanted Valley, who specializes in narrative style fine art and illustration. Her mediums are oils and graphite pencils.