Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Shivam Thapliyal, an artist and graphic designer from India. He is a self-taught artist, learning Photoshop since he was 11 years old. His work ranges from simple geometric compositions to 3d renderings.
Get in touch with Shivam
“Just observe a lot – the shapes, colors, textures and it will help you put your ideas well on the paper. It’s almost like using LEGO to put things together!”
- Shivam always learned from other artists whom he found interesting. He liked a collage book full of illustrations so he found about the artists as much as possible. He liked the design on the bag of chips so he found the artist and learned about him as much as possible. If he could, he reached out to them personally as well and some of them became his mentors
- Shivam says he was fortunate to be mentored by some of his artistic heroes and the process always included assignments, from concepts to practice
- Knowing your target audience and the media your artwork will be used in is very important part of the whole art process, Shivam shares.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Art inspiration – DKNG Studios & Owen Davey Illustration
- Digital art tools –
Special thanks to Shivam for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Shivam Thapliyal, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- INPRNT – Are you looking for a top quality print shop and online store to sell your prints? Then you should definitely check out INPRNT! INPRNT has been helping artists print and sell gallery quality prints of their work all over the world for over a decade. Go to artsideoflife.com/inprnt and use promo code artside to get 10% discount.
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.51: Bryan Sims on why you don’t have to go to expensive school to do animation
Bryan Sims is a Los Angeles based artist, a graduate of Art Center College of Design with a passion for visual development, story, character, and sketching.
Ep.186: Part 1 – How to get noticed as an artist on social media with Sweeney Boo
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Sweeney Boo, a freelance artist from Canada known for her graphic novel “Eat and Love Yourself”.
Ep.106: Devon Cady-Lee shares awesome tips on how to design characters
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Devon Cady-Lee, a freelance Character designer and Concept Artist living in Seattle. He has worked for studios like Warner Bros Turbine, Wizard of the Coast, and latest being Motiga games Gigantic!
Ep.192: Part 1 – How I got the job at Disney with Laura Price (lulusketches)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Laura Price a.k.a Lulusketches, an artist at Disney animation and YouTuber in sunny LA!
Ep.183: Part 2 – How to grow on Instagram with David Alvarez (davexp)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with David Alvarez, also known as DaveXP on Instagram who is a digital artist and illustrator from Costa Rica.