I am an Artist, but Professional
Simone Grünewald, also known as Schmoesi is a combined digital and traditional artist from Germany. She loves to tell stories with her sketches in fantasy settings or inspired by her life.
Simone recently published her tutorial on designing a character based on a real person in the magazine Character Design Quarterly. It is 6 double pages long! Character Design Quarterly (CDQ) is an exciting new print magazine for illustrators, artists, animators and character art enthusiasts.
Get in touch with Simone
- Tumblr: https://schmoedraws.tumblr.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/schmoedraws
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpKqWIupudRt-5c8DMg0GdA
Special offers for Art Side of Life visitors
- 💎How to Make Money as an Artist (Course) – learn to make money as an artist and live a creative career you will love
- 🎓Evolve Artist Program – better than an art college education and only at a fraction of the cost – World’s Simplest Art Training Method (I am Evolve’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
- 🎨 Storytelling with Color and Light (Course) – make your artworks more believable and appealing
- 🎧 Audible – 2 FREE audiobooks – learn by listening to hundreds of books (I am Audible’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
“Being an artist it’s hard. It’s all about hard work, sweat, and tears … It’s all about practice. All it takes is a spark of talent combined with hard work.”
- “Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out.” Chuck Jones
- Simone wasn’t good at anything else other than arts. She loved doing it and she didn’t care where in arts, she just loved doing it, study it and see what happens …
- The best advice that stuck with Simone was not to dwell on details too much. It pushed her to focus on important things and not get lost in details. From that point she got looser and more expressive, focusing more on the composition and not perfect detail
- It’s such a great force to have people around you who love art, it’s important to get professional and to stop drawing in checkered notebook 🙂
- Simone either goes for a story or draws a character, especially ladies and she likes to combine different styles to get a bigger visual library
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- School Simone attended: Hamburg Technical Art School
- Animex – a forum in Germany for anime and manga fans. It has local chapters that meet regularly in person
- Sketchbooks from Canson – really good paper for drawing
- Daedalic – a gaming studio where Simone has worked for 10 years now on titles like Tales of Monkey Island or Pillars of the Earth
- What simplifies her life is that she can order groceries online – Rewe in Germany
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Simone for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Simone Grunewald, used with permission