Simone Grünewald, also known as Schmoesi is a combined digital and traditional artist from Germany. She loves to tell stories with her sketches in fantasy settings or inspired by her life.
Simone recently published her tutorial on designing a character based on a real person in the magazine Character Design Quarterly. It is 6 double pages long! Character Design Quarterly (CDQ) is an exciting new print magazine for illustrators, artists, animators and character art enthusiasts.
Get in touch with Simone
- Tumblr: https://schmoedraws.tumblr.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/schmoedraws
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpKqWIupudRt-5c8DMg0GdA
“Being an artist it’s hard. It’s all about hard work, sweat, and tears … It’s all about practice. All it takes is a spark of talent combined with hard work.”
- “Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out.” Chuck Jones
- Simone wasn’t good at anything else other than arts. She loved doing it and she didn’t care where in arts, she just loved doing it, study it and see what happens …
- The best advice that stuck with Simone was not to dwell on details too much. It pushed her to focus on important things and not get lost in details. From that point she got looser and more expressive, focusing more on the composition and not perfect detail
- It’s such a great force to have people around you who love art, it’s important to get professional and to stop drawing in checkered notebook 🙂
- Simone either goes for a story or draws a character, especially ladies and she likes to combine different styles to get a bigger visual library
- School Simone attended: Hamburg Technical Art School
- Animex – a forum in Germany for anime and manga fans. It has local chapters that meet regularly in person
- Sketchbooks from Canson – really good paper for drawing
- Daedalic – a gaming studio where Simone has worked for 10 years now on titles like Tales of Monkey Island or Pillars of the Earth
- What simplifies her life is that she can order groceries online – Rewe in Germany
Special thanks to Simone for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Simone Grunewald, used with permission