Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Sam Nassour, an Art Director, and Visual Development Artist, in Dubai. He works mainly in animation and games, with studios like Cartoon Network, DreamWorks TV, and Nickelodeon Jr.
Get in touch with Sam
“Be authentic with yourself and do the thing you love, not necessarily what is popular. Do what makes you feel like you and that connects with your heart!”
- About moving to Dubai, Sam shares that he came without anything and found his job at Cartoon Network by accident, walking into a comics convention in Dubai from the beach and showing his portfolio on his smartphone
- As an Art Director, Sam is wearing different hats, working with different artists – background artists, character artists, 3D modelers
- When hiring artists, Sam always looks at the certain level of quality – dedication, exploration, freshness, believability in characters, backgrounds, color & light
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
Special thanks to Sam for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Sam Nassour, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.23: How to succeed in the world of children’s books with Gene Barretta
Gene is a highly accomplished and awarded children's book author and illustrator, animator and character designer.
Ep.154: Should I be a freelancer or work for a studio with Richard Anderson
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Richard Anderson, a freelance concept artist, in London. He works on games, films, commercials and publishing with clients such as Marvel Studios, Warner Bros, Universal Pictures, 20th Century FOX, and others.
Ep.101: Nick Runge on why it’s important to draw and paint every day
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Nick Runge, a watercolor, oil and comic books artist originally living in LA. He is most known as a portrait painter, describing his art “abstracted realism”. In the past, he worked for IDW and Dark Horse.
Ep.24: Hobby that became her full time career with Baylee Jae from Baylee Creations
Baylee has been on YouTube since 2011. She creates videos related to art, like speed-paints, hauls, product reviews, tutorials, and more.
Ep.116: Discipline will help you achieve anything with Carolina Parada (Carosurreal)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Carolina Parada, an illustrator, biologist, and researcher originally from Colombia, now living and working in France. She is most known for her stories that she writes and draws by herself!
Ep.139: Chris Ayers on what makes a great character designer
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Chris Ayers, a Character Designer, and Story Artist from LA. He has worked with Dreamworks, Sony Pictures, Disney TV and others. He is known for his book series Daily Zoo, drawing one animal a day.