Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ruby Roth, artist, designer, and the author-illustrator of four books for kids on veganism. Ruby focuses on art direction, and illustration for clients in fashion, art, music, and entertainment.
Get in touch with Ruby
“Keep working, always be working, always have projects that are ready, because opportunities will come and you have to be ready to take advantage of them!”
- Ruby’s motivation to write and illustrate a book about veganism for kids comes from her own experience when she was teaching at an elementary school and couldn’t find any suitable material to talk to the kids about the topic
- Ruby found the publishers by going to a library and writing down all the names of the publishers she liked. She created a dummy book and sent it to 10 publishers. She got 9 rejections and 1 positive reply which lead her to her book being published
- Ruby says on inspiration for the branding of her book. It came from her students, elementary school kids and their simplistic drawing and understanding shapes. She wanted to make it as appealing to them as possible.
Art Side of Life tools & resources*
- Audible – 30-day FREE – learn by listening to hundreds of books
- Freshbooks – 30-day FREE – super easy to use invoice and accounting software for freelancers
- Trusted Housesitters – live for free when traveling, get new inspiration and avoid art blocks
- Ruby’s book That’s why we don’t eat animals – a book about veganism for children
- Art tools
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Ruby for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Ruby Roth, used with permission
*Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.