Rob Kaz is an amazing oil artist, concept artist and character designer living in Florida, United States. He enjoyed painting and drawing as a hobby while never exploring the possibility of a career in art. That’s why he earned a degree in Criminal Justice and set his heart on a career in federal law enforcement.
Serendipity had it and while his family was selling their home, he was hired on the spot by a small animation gallery as a color key artist. He then worked for several years in small animation studios alongside many talented artists from Disney before he decided to go onto the self-employment journey.
He wants people to be happy when they look at his artworks, so he creates stories that personally make him smile or laugh. I especially love his character Beau the frog.
He is fortunate to have been granted the license to paint some of his favorite films from Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm and Warner Bros in his own style.
With the help of Kickstarter funding, he has just released his first art book!
Get in touch with Rob
- Website: https://www.robkazart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/robkazart/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/RobKazArt
Special offers for Art Side of Life visitors
- 💎How to Make Money as an Artist (Course) – learn to make money as an artist and live a creative career you will love
- 🎓Evolve Artist Program – better than an art college education and only at a fraction of the cost – World’s Simplest Art Training Method (I am Evolve’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
- 🎨 Storytelling with Color and Light (Course) – make your artworks more believable and appealing
- 🎧 Audible – 2 FREE audiobooks – learn by listening to hundreds of books (I am Audible’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
“Just do it because you love it. You will be challenged, but if you love it, you will push through it”
- Rob loves painting with Oils because he likes to go at his own pace and oils allow him to paint slowly
- The biggest thing Rob learned in art is the ability to get the best idea quickest. In the beginning took him 6x to get character right, now it’s on the 1st try
- Perfection for Rob is making something as simple as possible
- Rob frequently visits Disney Theme parks to do people watching. That’s his best inspiration
- When he started he went through a bit of transition with what to paint and sell. He painted serious staff he thought people would want to buy. He was only doing OK. At one art festival, he decided to paint sketches, characters, stories. For example Beau he frog and people were fighting over them!
- Fav quote is from Henry Ford – “Whether you believe you can or you can’t, you are right”
- Among first jobs that Rob’s publisher got him was to display his work on cruise ships – Royal Caribbean, Princess, etc.
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Rob’s Disney art
- Rob’s publisher – James Coleman
- Rob Kaz’s book – The Art of Rob Kaz
- Art tools:
- EA Sports
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Rob for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Rob Kaz, used with permission