Rob Kaz is an amazing oil artist, concept artist and character designer living in Florida, United States. He enjoyed painting and drawing as a hobby while never exploring the possibility of a career in art. That’s why he earned a degree in Criminal Justice and set his heart on a career in federal law enforcement.
Serendipity had it and while his family was selling their home, he was hired on the spot by a small animation gallery as a color key artist. He then worked for several years in small animation studios alongside many talented artists from Disney before he decided to go onto the self-employment journey.
He wants people to be happy when they look at his artworks, so he creates stories that personally make him smile or laugh. I especially love his character Beau the frog.
He is fortunate to have been granted the license to paint some of his favorite films from Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm and Warner Bros in his own style.
With the help of Kickstarter funding, he has just released his first art book!
Get in touch with Rob
- Website: https://www.robkazart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/robkazart/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/RobKazArt
“Just do it because you love it. You will be challenged, but if you love it, you will push through it”
- Rob loves painting with Oils because he likes to go at his own pace and oils allow him to paint slowly
- The biggest thing Rob learned in art is the ability to get the best idea quickest. In the beginning took him 6x to get character right, now it’s on the 1st try
- Perfection for Rob is making something as simple as possible
- Rob frequently visits Disney Theme parks to do people watching. That’s his best inspiration
- When he started he went through a bit of transition with what to paint and sell. He painted serious staff he thought people would want to buy. He was only doing OK. At one art festival, he decided to paint sketches, characters, stories. For example Beau he frog and people were fighting over them!
- Fav quote is from Henry Ford – “Whether you believe you can or you can’t, you are right”
- Among first jobs that Rob’s publisher got him was to display his work on cruise ships – Royal Caribbean, Princess, etc.
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Rob’s Disney art
- Rob’s publisher – James Coleman
- Rob Kaz’s book – The Art of Rob Kaz
- Art tools:
- EA Sports
Special thanks to Rob for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Rob Kaz, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.98: Finding mentors with Ismael Alejandro Moreno Ozuna (IAMO)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ismael Alejandro Moreno Ozuna, aka IAMO from Tijuana, Mexico. He is a Cartoonist and Character Designer mostly known for his popular Nerdmigos webcomic where he shares his passion for telling stories.
Ep.156: How to get into animation industry with Martin Wittig
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Martin Wittig, is a character designer and animator in LA. He has been in the animation industry for 22 years, working as a character designer at Disney TV, Dreamworks, Blue Sky Studios, CN, Laika, and others.
Ep.122: How to start an art business, with Stephanie Krist (Fired Figments)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Stephanie Krist, the owner of Fired Figments, a handcrafted ceramics. She studied Studio Art and business administration. Stephanie sells her fantasy dragon creations online and on art shows.
Ep.50: Drawing Disney fanart and finding your own style with Dylan Bonner
Dylan is an amazing illustrator and freelance artist from Michigan. He is most known for his lovely mermaids, Disney fanart, and comics.
Ep.170: The Filmmaking artist with Kesh
Kesh, a freelance illustrator and filmmaker from India, most known for his popular YouTube channel where he shares art tips and tricks