Rob Kaz is an amazing oil artist, concept artist and character designer living in Florida, United States. He enjoyed painting and drawing as a hobby while never exploring the possibility of a career in art. That’s why he earned a degree in Criminal Justice and set his heart on a career in federal law enforcement.
Serendipity had it and while his family was selling their home, he was hired on the spot by a small animation gallery as a color key artist. He then worked for several years in small animation studios alongside many talented artists from Disney before he decided to go onto the self-employment journey.
He wants people to be happy when they look at his artworks, so he creates stories that personally make him smile or laugh. I especially love his character Beau the frog.
He is fortunate to have been granted the license to paint some of his favorite films from Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm and Warner Bros in his own style.
With the help of Kickstarter funding, he has just released his first art book!
Get in touch with Rob
- Website: https://www.robkazart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/robkazart/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/RobKazArt
“Just do it because you love it. You will be challenged, but if you love it, you will push through it”
- Rob loves painting with Oils because he likes to go at his own pace and oils allow him to paint slowly
- The biggest thing Rob learned in art is the ability to get the best idea quickest. In the beginning took him 6x to get character right, now it’s on the 1st try
- Perfection for Rob is making something as simple as possible
- Rob frequently visits Disney Theme parks to do people watching. That’s his best inspiration
- When he started he went through a bit of transition with what to paint and sell. He painted serious staff he thought people would want to buy. He was only doing OK. At one art festival, he decided to paint sketches, characters, stories. For example Beau he frog and people were fighting over them!
- Fav quote is from Henry Ford – “Whether you believe you can or you can’t, you are right”
- Among first jobs that Rob’s publisher got him was to display his work on cruise ships – Royal Caribbean, Princess, etc.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Rob’s Disney art
- Rob’s publisher – James Coleman
- Rob Kaz’s book – The Art of Rob Kaz
- Art tools:
- EA Sports
Special thanks to Rob for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Rob Kaz, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.76: Michele Arrieta on the importance of 1-on-1 mentorship
Michele Arrieta is an illustrator and graphic designer living in San Diego, California
Ep.129: Why you should welcome feedback for your art with Pernille Ørum
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Pernille Ørum, a freelance illustrator and character designer from Denmark. Her clients include Disney, Warner Bros, Mattel, and Nickelodeon. She was the lead character designer on DC Superhero Girls.
Ep.38: Mattias Adolfsson on importance of details in your artwork and starting from scratch
Mattias is a freelance illustrator living just outside of Stockholm, Sweden. He is most known for his detailed ink illustrations,
Ep.60: Yana Bogatch (CosmicSpectrum) about her life views and her first graphic novel
Yana is a full-time freelance illustrator and comic artist. She creates in-depth tutorials full of tips that she discovered over her 10+ years of drawing.
Ep.6: John Nevarez on working for animation studios like Pixar and SONY Pictures Animation
John is a Visual Development and Story Artist at Sony Pictures Animation in California. He created designs for Inside Out, Monster’s University and Cars 2.