Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Richard Smythe, an awarded picture books illustrator and oil painter from the UK. He has worked with publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Paula Wiseman Books, Walker Books, Little Tiger Press and many more.
Get in touch with Richard
Special offers for Art Side of Life visitors
- 💎How to Make Money as an Artist (Course) – learn to make money as an artist and live a creative career you will love
- 🎓Evolve Artist Program – better than an art college education and only at a fraction of the cost – World’s Simplest Art Training Method (I am Evolve’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
- 🎨 Storytelling with Color and Light (Course) – make your artworks more believable and appealing
- 🎧 Audible – 2 FREE audiobooks – learn by listening to hundreds of books (I am Audible’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
This episode is sponsored by
- INPRNT – Are you looking for a top quality print shop and online store to sell your prints? Then you should definitely check out INPRNT! INPRNT has been helping artists print and sell gallery quality prints of their work all over the world for over a decade. Go to artsideoflife.com/inprnt and use promo code artside to get 10% discount.
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
“Have big dreams, work hard, keep on learning and challenging yourself, but manage your expectations – it doesn’t happen overnight!”
- Richard developed his skills through observational drawings, learning from books and basically through the system of trial and error
- Richard gives advice about pricing your artworks for galleries, that you need to be careful about gallery commissions, painting size and the target group and the value of the frame. It’s always good to develop a relationship with the gallery first.
- If you want to start in children’s books industry, you should do a body of work that is specifically for that industry. He wishes he narrowed his work down earlier.
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments on YouTube
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Richard for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Richard Smythe, used with permission
*Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.