Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Richard Smythe, an awarded picture books illustrator and oil painter from the UK. He has worked with publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Paula Wiseman Books, Walker Books, Little Tiger Press and many more.
Get in touch with Richard
“Have big dreams, work hard, keep on learning and challenging yourself, but manage your expectations – it doesn’t happen overnight!”
- Richard developed his skills through observational drawings, learning from books and basically through the system of trial and error
- Richard gives advice about pricing your artworks for galleries, that you need to be careful about gallery commissions, painting size and the target group and the value of the frame. It’s always good to develop a relationship with the gallery first.
- If you want to start in children’s books industry, you should do a body of work that is specifically for that industry. He wishes he narrowed his work down earlier.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
Special thanks to Richard for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Richard Smythe, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- INPRNT – Are you looking for a top quality print shop and online store to sell your prints? Then you should definitely check out INPRNT! INPRNT has been helping artists print and sell gallery quality prints of their work all over the world for over a decade. Go to artsideoflife.com/inprnt and use promo code artside to get 10% discount.
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.129: Why you should welcome feedback for your art with Pernille Ørum
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Pernille Ørum, a freelance illustrator and character designer from Denmark. Her clients include Disney, Warner Bros, Mattel, and Nickelodeon. She was the lead character designer on DC Superhero Girls.
Ep.154: Should I be a freelancer or work for a studio with Richard Anderson
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Richard Anderson, a freelance concept artist, in London. He works on games, films, commercials and publishing with clients such as Marvel Studios, Warner Bros, Universal Pictures, 20th Century FOX, and others.
Ep.117: How to get internship in Disney with Tyler ‘Ty’ Amato
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Tyler Amato, an Illustrator and Art Director from Florida. She has worked in Disney's Yellow Shoes Creative Group, the in-house creative shop for Disney Destinations.
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.61: Jessica Laurent on finding yourself as an artist
Jess is a director, storyboarder, editor, character designer, animator who is passionate about teaming up with talented artists to create great projects.
Ep.95: Creating fantasy worlds with Jonas Jodicke aka JoJoe
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Jonas Jödicke, aka JoJoe from Germany. He is a freelance digital artist, fascinated by the worlds of fantasy and magic, the contrast between light/dark or good/evil which he portraits in his artworks.