Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Richard Smythe, an awarded picture books illustrator and oil painter from the UK. He has worked with publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Paula Wiseman Books, Walker Books, Little Tiger Press and many more.
Get in touch with Richard
In this course, you will learn about 17 proven ways how you can make money as an artist. And there is more! The possibilities will grow exponentially if you combine them all!
“Have big dreams, work hard, keep on learning and challenging yourself, but manage your expectations – it doesn’t happen overnight!”
- Richard developed his skills through observational drawings, learning from books and basically through the system of trial and error
- Richard gives advice about pricing your artworks for galleries, that you need to be careful about gallery commissions, painting size and the target group and the value of the frame. It’s always good to develop a relationship with the gallery first.
- If you want to start in children’s books industry, you should do a body of work that is specifically for that industry. He wishes he narrowed his work down earlier.
Special thanks to Richard for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Richard Smythe, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- INPRNT – Are you looking for a top quality print shop and online store to sell your prints? Then you should definitely check out INPRNT! INPRNT has been helping artists print and sell gallery quality prints of their work all over the world for over a decade. Go to artsideoflife.com/inprnt and use promo code artside to get 10% discount.
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE