Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Richard Anderson, a freelance concept artist, in London. He works on games, films, commercials and publishing with clients such as Marvel Studios, Warner Bros, Universal Pictures, 20th Century FOX, and others.
Get in touch with Richard
In this course, you will learn about 17 proven ways how you can make money as an artist. And there is more! The possibilities will grow exponentially if you combine them all!
“Be focused, but stay open, because even if you work on something doesn’t work out, you never know when you can use it in the future!”
- Richard’s best art school was the life drawing for animation where they taught him expressions, movements, feelings. He would then meet with other kids from school, oftentimes for more than 16 hours per week to practice the poses
- Richard recommends putting your best work on ArtStation because that’s like the online version of your physical portfolio
- Richard says that sometimes it’s very good to go to conventions to meet with Art Directors and Producers and follow up with them via email afterward to stay in contact. It’s also important to reach out to them from time to time to remind them about yourself and your art. They are very busy professionals so they appreciate if artists reach out to them.
- Childhood inspiration
- Recommended book: Drawn to Life series (20 Golden years of Disney Masterclasses) by Walt Stanchfield
- Recommended conventions
Special thanks to Richard for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Richard Anderson, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE