Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Richard Anderson, a freelance concept artist, in London. He works on games, films, commercials and publishing with clients such as Marvel Studios, Warner Bros, Universal Pictures, 20th Century FOX, and others.
Get in touch with Richard
This episode is sponsored by
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
“Be focused, but stay open, because even if you work on something doesn’t work out, you never know when you can use it in the future!”
- Richard’s best art school was the life drawing for animation where they taught him expressions, movements, feelings. He would then meet with other kids from school, oftentimes for more than 16 hours per week to practice the poses
- Richard recommends putting your best work on ArtStation because that’s like the online version of your physical portfolio
- Richard says that sometimes it’s very good to go to conventions to meet with Art Directors and Producers and follow up with them via email afterward to stay in contact. It’s also important to reach out to them from time to time to remind them about yourself and your art. They are very busy professionals so they appreciate if artists reach out to them.
- Childhood inspiration
- Recommended book: Drawn to Life series (20 Golden years of Disney Masterclasses) by Walt Stanchfield
- Recommended conventions
🎓Discover Art Side of Life Courses 🎓
Storytelling with Color and Light
Get it here: https://artsideoflife.thinkific.com/courses/color-light
Art Side of Life tools & resources*
- Audible – 30-day FREE – learn by listening to hundreds of books
Freshbooks – 30-day FREE – super easy to use invoice and accounting software for freelancers
- Trusted Housesitters – live for free when traveling, get new inspiration and avoid art blocks
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments on YouTube
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Richard for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Richard Anderson, used with permission
*Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.