Rachel is a Contemporary Pop – Surrealist Artist and Illustrator who lives and works in Queensland, Australia. Graduating with an Illustration Degree and a Bachelor of Education, she has been working in the field of Art Education since 2000.
Her research into fairy tales and classic children’s literature became the focus for her artworks during her Illustration degree and to this day has become her inspiration for her work. One of Rachel’s main aims is to create imagery which adds beauty. The beauty is in the simplicity of the compositions and the naïve subject matter. Her contemplative and quirky characters, which often sit in solitary environments, whisk us away into imaginary and mysterious worlds.
“I am interested in the interpretations of the audience rather than being prescriptive with my narratives. My characters are often inspired by the innocence of childhood as well as my own fond memories of that time; superhero costumes, retro toys and playing in the garden with my pet dachshund.”
Rachel’s illustrations are usually mixed media works examining the relationship of graphite, gouache, ink, colored pencil and watercolor while she loves to explore the medium of oil painting in her larger scale works.
Get in touch with Rachel
- Website: http://favelleart.weebly.com/
- Etsy: https://artsideoflife.com/favelle_etsy
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/favelleart/
“It’s important not to compare yourself to other people, just enjoy the experience, just enjoy the journey of creating art”!
- Best advice Rachel ever got was to network and make relationships, don’t be afraid of the failure or rejection, just give it a go
- You can’t be great at everything – so specialize in what you like
- Do workshops, you don’t need to go to university, even youtube is good – develop some skills to begin with and then immerse yourself into the experience – study, research, go to galleries – develop your own voice, your own style. Practice your craft every day, like any profession
- Make sure to get honest feedback from the pros
- Don’t waste your time.
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Marie Larkin – another pop surrealist – she gave rachel knowledge, marketing, promotion
- Rachel listens to podcasts
- Fav quote: “An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one.” Charles Horton Cooley
- Art Tools
- Movie: Tim Burton- A Nightmare Before Christmas
Special thanks to Rachel for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Rachel Favelle, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.21: Build your community by providing tips with Danielle Pioli
Danielle is an artist with a keen interest in magic and joy. She believes that feeling joy will yield you the most wonderful things!
Ep.78: The path of an artist with Sebastien Le Divenah
Sébastien is a French concept artist, illustrator, and art director currently working at Supamonks studio and in the animation film industry.
Ep.15: Going freelance full time with Gabriel Picolo
Gabriel is a freelance illustrator and comic artist. He grew an immense following during his online 365-day creative challenge, posting new art piece daily.
Ep.164: Great tips for art gallery shows with Marc Scheff
In this episode, I am chatting with Marc Scheff, an artist, educator, and curator from Brooklyn. His work has been featured in ImagineFX, Spectrum.
Ep.160: Think before you start drawing with Modern Day James
Modern Day James, an artist, designer, and musician known for his popular YouTube channel and Patreon.