Helga is the founder and ‘chief crafter’ of PuddingFishCakes.
PuddingFishCakes was born out of a love for DIY crafts and polymer clay.
Ever since its inception, Helga has been making video tutorials in an effort to bring the joy of polymer clay and crafts to other crafters like herself. Five years later, she’s done just that. With over a quarter million subscribers, she’s brought a community of crafters together to learn from each other and celebrate the craft.
Get in touch with Helga
- Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7t5OM0oKq_x8w4oXjxqeWw
- Website: https://www.puddingfishcakes.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/puddingfishcakes
“If you don’t know if you should do what your heart is telling you, just go for it and don’t let the fear hold you back!”
- When Helga started working with polymer clay, 99% of everything she learned is from YouTube videos. Polymere clay community is huge, full of other people’s tutorials. The crafting community is super supportive.
- For Helga, PuddingFishcakes is a hobby but more than a hobby so it requires a lot of time and it’s very important to be efficient and organized. She makes sure she manages her time very well
- Helga’s advice for Youtube is to try to post as regularly as you can, even if you don’t feel like the content is the best. Be consistent, it gives you the confidence to get better each time
- Fav quote: “Trade your expectations for appreciation”. That’s something she loves to live by, being grateful for opportunities. She was really privileged growing up, supporting her creative endeavors and not everybody has that so she is super grateful for that!
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through some links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info: our disclosure.
- University that Helga is attending: University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Helga’s Book: Clay, Charm, Magic
- Some YouTube crafters Helga recommends
- Events – VidCon Anaheim, US & VidCon Amsterdam, Europe
- Sites online where YouTubers can check out advertising campaigns: FameBit – YouTube Influencers platform
- Book – Austin Kleon: Steal like an Artist – it’s about how to pursue a creative career. It applies a lot to life in general and meaning in your work and life
Special thanks to Helga for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Helga Jiang, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.53: Anthony Christou (Luminous Ages) on art, business and how to run Kickstarter campaigns
Anthony Christou is a Concept Artist and Illustrator based in Adelaide, South Australia. He is the illustrator and writer for the comic “Luminous Ages”.
Ep.39: Ahmed Aldoori on talent and discipline
Ahmed Aldoori graduated from Art Center College of Design with a BS in Entertainment Design. He enjoys and is very active in teaching art through YouTube.
Ep.35: Why you should take advice from people who are where you want to be with Lord Gris
Lord Gris is a Game assets designer. She creates most of her artworks digitally and she also produces prints and stickers from her creations.
Ep.7: From Dreamworks to successful Kickstarter campaigns with Jason Brubaker from Coffee Table Comics
Jason is a visual development and story board artist, producing graphic novels full-time. Some of his credits include Blade, Pitch Black, and Van Helsing.
Ep.183: Part 2 – How to grow on Instagram with David Alvarez (davexp)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with David Alvarez, also known as DaveXP on Instagram who is a digital artist and illustrator from Costa Rica.