Helga is the founder and ‘chief crafter’ of PuddingFishCakes.
PuddingFishCakes was born out of a love for DIY crafts and polymer clay.
Ever since its inception, Helga has been making video tutorials in an effort to bring the joy of polymer clay and crafts to other crafters like herself. Five years later, she’s done just that. With over a quarter million subscribers, she’s brought a community of crafters together to learn from each other and celebrate the craft.
Join Evolve Artist Program, the world’s simplest art training method with results guaranteed!
★ Use my coupon code to get a special discount
Get in touch with Helga
- Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7t5OM0oKq_x8w4oXjxqeWw
- Website: https://www.puddingfishcakes.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/puddingfishcakes
“If you don’t know if you should do what your heart is telling you, just go for it and don’t let the fear hold you back!”
- When Helga started working with polymer clay, 99% of everything she learned is from YouTube videos. Polymere clay community is huge, full of other people’s tutorials. The crafting community is super supportive.
- For Helga, PuddingFishcakes is a hobby but more than a hobby so it requires a lot of time and it’s very important to be efficient and organized. She makes sure she manages her time very well
- Helga’s advice for Youtube is to try to post as regularly as you can, even if you don’t feel like the content is the best. Be consistent, it gives you the confidence to get better each time
- Fav quote: “Trade your expectations for appreciation”. That’s something she loves to live by, being grateful for opportunities. She was really privileged growing up, supporting her creative endeavors and not everybody has that so she is super grateful for that!
- University that Helga is attending: University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Helga’s Book: Clay, Charm, Magic
- Some YouTube crafters Helga recommends
- Sugar Charm Shop – realistic looking miniatures
- Video inspiration, a way to film your videos – Sara Dietschy – vlogger – her filming style and how she edits her video
- Events – VidCon Anaheim, US & VidCon Amsterdam, Europe
- Sites online where YouTubers can check out advertising campaigns: FameBit – YouTube Influencers platform
- Book – Austin Kleon: Steal like an Artist – it’s about how to pursue a creative career. It applies a lot to life in general and meaning in your work and life
Special thanks to Helga for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Helga Jiang, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Hi, I am Iva (rhymes with “viva”). I am a full-time self-taught artist behind Art Side of Life® and a Top Teacher on Skillshare. I have 15 years of experience in the creative field as a concept designer, illustrator, art director, and now freelance artist, content creator, and art instructor. My goal is to help you get your creative groove on with Procreate and make awesome art through practical classes, tutorials, Procreate brushes, and guides on art tools, supplies and resources. About me »
More Podcast Episodes:
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).