Helga is the founder and ‘chief crafter’ of PuddingFishCakes.
PuddingFishCakes was born out of a love for DIY crafts and polymer clay.
Ever since its inception, Helga has been making video tutorials in an effort to bring the joy of polymer clay and crafts to other crafters like herself. Five years later, she’s done just that. With over a quarter million subscribers, she’s brought a community of crafters together to learn from each other and celebrate the craft.
Get in touch with Helga
- Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7t5OM0oKq_x8w4oXjxqeWw
- Website: https://www.puddingfishcakes.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/puddingfishcakes
“If you don’t know if you should do what your heart is telling you, just go for it and don’t let the fear hold you back!”
- When Helga started working with polymer clay, 99% of everything she learned is from YouTube videos. Polymere clay community is huge, full of other people’s tutorials. The crafting community is super supportive.
- For Helga, PuddingFishcakes is a hobby but more than a hobby so it requires a lot of time and it’s very important to be efficient and organized. She makes sure she manages her time very well
- Helga’s advice for Youtube is to try to post as regularly as you can, even if you don’t feel like the content is the best. Be consistent, it gives you the confidence to get better each time
- Fav quote: “Trade your expectations for appreciation”. That’s something she loves to live by, being grateful for opportunities. She was really privileged growing up, supporting her creative endeavors and not everybody has that so she is super grateful for that!
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- University that Helga is attending: University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Helga’s Book: Clay, Charm, Magic
- Some YouTube crafters Helga recommends
- Events – VidCon Anaheim, US & VidCon Amsterdam, Europe
- Sites online where YouTubers can check out advertising campaigns: FameBit – YouTube Influencers platform
- Book – Austin Kleon: Steal like an Artist – it’s about how to pursue a creative career. It applies a lot to life in general and meaning in your work and life
Special thanks to Helga for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Helga Jiang, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.133: Wouter Tulp on the process of character design
Wouter Tulp, a Freelance illustrator and Character designer from Holland. He has worked on children books, magazines, and now works with animation studios.
Ep.197: Evolve Artist Program with Kevin Murphy
Interview with Kevin Murphy, the creator of the Evolve Artist Program, the world's most effective art education program.
Ep.192: Part 1 – How I got the job at Disney with Laura Price (lulusketches)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Laura Price a.k.a Lulusketches, an artist at Disney animation and YouTuber in sunny LA!
Ep.36: Family life and art career with Nerea Mas
Nerea, also known as Ne is a Spanish illustrator, character designer and concept artist from one of my most favorite cities in the world, Barcelona.
Ep.122: How to start an art business, with Stephanie Krist (Fired Figments)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Stephanie Krist, the owner of Fired Figments, a handcrafted ceramics. She studied Studio Art and business administration. Stephanie sells her fantasy dragon creations online and on art shows.