Helga is the founder and ‘chief crafter’ of PuddingFishCakes.
PuddingFishCakes was born out of a love for DIY crafts and polymer clay.
Ever since its inception, Helga has been making video tutorials in an effort to bring the joy of polymer clay and crafts to other crafters like herself. Five years later, she’s done just that. With over a quarter million subscribers, she’s brought a community of crafters together to learn from each other and celebrate the craft.
Get in touch with Helga
- Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7t5OM0oKq_x8w4oXjxqeWw
- Website: https://www.puddingfishcakes.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/puddingfishcakes
“If you don’t know if you should do what your heart is telling you, just go for it and don’t let the fear hold you back!”
- When Helga started working with polymer clay, 99% of everything she learned is from YouTube videos. Polymere clay community is huge, full of other people’s tutorials. The crafting community is super supportive.
- For Helga, PuddingFishcakes is a hobby but more than a hobby so it requires a lot of time and it’s very important to be efficient and organized. She makes sure she manages her time very well
- Helga’s advice for Youtube is to try to post as regularly as you can, even if you don’t feel like the content is the best. Be consistent, it gives you the confidence to get better each time
- Fav quote: “Trade your expectations for appreciation”. That’s something she loves to live by, being grateful for opportunities. She was really privileged growing up, supporting her creative endeavors and not everybody has that so she is super grateful for that!
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- University that Helga is attending: University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Helga’s Book: Clay, Charm, Magic
- Some YouTube crafters Helga recommends
- Events – VidCon Anaheim, US & VidCon Amsterdam, Europe
- Sites online where YouTubers can check out advertising campaigns: FameBit – YouTube Influencers platform
- Book – Austin Kleon: Steal like an Artist – it’s about how to pursue a creative career. It applies a lot to life in general and meaning in your work and life
Special thanks to Helga for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Helga Jiang, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.61: Jessica Laurent on finding yourself as an artist
Jess is a director, storyboarder, editor, character designer, animator who is passionate about teaming up with talented artists to create great projects.
Ep.148: Why you can make a living as an artist with David Owens
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with David Owens, illustrator and art director from NY. His focus is on editorial Illustrations, product licensing, brand development and art directing for various regional and international campaigns.
Ep.126: How to get a job at big studio with Felipe Machado
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Felipe Machado, a digital illustrator and concept artist from Colombia who is most known for doing the cover art for music bands and working for Lucas Films. He runs Blank Atelier and Colectivo Tajalapiz.
Ep.102: Denis Zilber on why you should concentrate on storytelling and not tools
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Denis Zilber, a freelance illustrator, and visual storyteller. He has worked with magazines like GQ, Maxim, National Geographic and animation studios like Hasbro, Dreamworks, Nickelodeon among many others.
Ep.201: Grow your creative business with Peggy Dean (The Pigeon Letters)
Peggy Dean, the best-selling author of The Ultimate Brush Lettering Guide, Botanical Line Drawing and Peggy Dean’s Guide to Nature Drawing & Watercolor.