Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Nic Gregory, a Background Painter and VisDev Artist. From Australia, Nic decided to move to LA to work in the animation in mid-30s. He worked with Disney, Cartoon Network, and Rough Draft Studios.
Get in touch with Nic
“You don’t have to believe in yourself, just do it anyway. Stuff will get in your way, but just jump over it and do it!”
- Nic is originally from Australia and after having a career as graphic designer, pro wrestler with his own action figure and hip-hop musician, he decided to make it in LA in animation when he was 35. He succeeded!
- Nic says that things you love are usually the hardest things to do. You need to stop procrastinating just because something is not working right now. Keep at it and you will succeed!
- Nic says he wishes he knew about the job positions in the animation industry. In his head, he thought that you can only be a character designer, or background designer or visdev designer, but for example, in Dreamworks, you can step into different roles.
- Things he loved are the hardest thing to do – going into animation – stop procrastinating and just make it happen – the early 30s, full 5 years better in animation, trying to get to the US
Art Side of Life tools & resources*
- Audible – 30-day FREE – learn by listening to hundreds of books
- Freshbooks – 30-day FREE – super easy to use invoice and accounting software for freelancers
- Trusted Housesitters – live for free when traveling, get new inspiration and avoid art blocks
- Art tools
- Recommended Events
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Nic for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Nic Gregory, used with permission
*Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.