Neimy is a digital artist based in California and currently studying in Florida. Despite being only a student she is steadily growing her community on Instagram, where she has over 76K followers! She gives insightful art tips and creates tutorials where she shares her experiences with aspiring artists.
Every artist represents their art. You can tell their personality from looking at it. Don’t push yourself to find your own style. You will know when you have one, so don’t stress yourself too much.
Get in touch with Neimy
“Don’t be afraid to share your art and try not to think negative. There will always be people who hate you, but there will also always be people who will support you, too. “
- Her mom made her love art a lot
- Neimy went to Florida, Ringling College because she wanted to go to college somewhere far away from home because she wanted to challenge herself, be more independent
- If you are in an art block, try to notice the mistakes and try to correct them … it will motivate you
- She is posting a lot on social media to build up her community for the future possibilities
- Don’t buy the most expensive tablet, start with tablet that connects to your computer to try if you like it
- Comparing physical vs. online school
- Online art classes are led by industry experts who have fresh views and know what is new in the industry. Plus, you can choose specific topics
- Traditional art schools have teachers, who are out of the industry for a few years, so they are out of touch. They don’t necessarily teach specific things you really want to learn
- Neimy wishes she learned sooner that life drawing is really important for her art skills
- College Niemy is attending: Ringling College
- Mentioned artists: Brittney Lee, Iraville
- Favorite movies:
- Art tools:
Special thanks to Neimy for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Neimy Kanani, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Hi, I am Iva (rhymes with “viva”). I am a full-time self-taught artist behind Art Side of Life® and a Top Teacher on Skillshare. I have 15 years of experience in the creative field as a concept designer, illustrator, art director, and now freelance artist, content creator, and art instructor. My goal is to help you get your creative groove on with Procreate and make awesome art through practical classes, tutorials, Procreate brushes, and guides on art tools, supplies and resources. About me »
More Podcast Episodes:
Evolve Artist Academy: From Aspiring Artist To Success Story with Piper Talladay
Discover how Piper, head instructor at Evolve Artist Academy, helps aspiring artists turn their dreams into success stories in the world of oil painting.
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.207: On being a Creative Director, Illustrator, and Educator with Greg Gunn
I am chatting with Greg Gunn. He is a creative director, illustrator, and animator from LA. He helps passionate people communicate their big ideas.
Ep.206: Beatrice “Bea” Blue on the importance of enjoying the journey
I am catching up with Beatrice Blue. We chat about what she has been up to since we talked last time - her time in Montreal, her new books and much more.
Ep.205: Art licensing tips with Bonnie Christine
Bonnie Christine, an artist and pattern & textile designer. She is most known for her flowery designs, making artworks for companies & products.
Ep.204: Illustration for Motion Design with Sarah Beth Morgan
Sarah Beth Morgan, a freelance art director, motion designer & illustrator based in Portland. She has worked with Gentleman Scholar and Oddfellows.