Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Nathanna Erica, an illustrator and paper artist based in São Paulo, Brazil. Her work focuses mainly on Illustration, storytelling, visual development, and character design.
Get in touch with Nathanna
Special offers for Art Side of Life visitors
- ?How to Make Money as an Artist (Course) – learn to make money as an artist and live a creative career you will love
- ?Evolve Artist Program – better than an art college education and only at a fraction of the cost – World’s Simplest Art Training Method (I am Evolve’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
- ? Storytelling with Color and Light (Course) – make your artworks more believable and appealing
- ? Audible – 2 FREE audiobooks – learn by listening to hundreds of books (I am Audible’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
“Do what you love and you won’t have to work a day in your life!”
- Nathanna graduated from a law school, but she never felt it’s for her. Instead, her art hobby turned to be her job. She started to share her paper art on Instagram and it just exploded. She did mostly mermaids and people connected with her art.
- Nathanna also started selling through Instagram, which helped her a lot in the beginning and still does.
- Nathanna’s art process starts with sketching all the ideas, then she does cutouts from the color paper that she sometimes creates herself by painting with watercolors on a white paper. The composition and the harmony of the colors is very important for the final piece to look great
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Nathanna’s book – Samba
- Inspiration – Mary Blair, Brittney Lee – colors, shapes
- Paper – Canson – texture
- Paint color on paper – gouache, acrylic sometimes, watercolors
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Nathanna for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Nathanna Erica, used with permission
Ep.162: Tips for self-taught artists with Shivam Thapliyal
In this episode, I am chatting with Shivam Thapliyal, an artist and graphic designer from India. His work is simple geometric compositions to 3d renderings.
Ep.114: Mike Henry on how to run sketching groups
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Mike Henry, a concept artist and art director, working at BigPoint. Most of his career, he has worked in the gaming industry with studios like Zynga, Blizzard Activision, Booyah, Disney Mobile, Ubisoft.
Ep.43: Wolfram Kampffmeyer (Paperwolf) about succeeding on Etsy and Dawanda
Wolfram is the designer and creative mind behind Paperwolf. His passion is creating new paper sculptures with lively expressions.
Ep.133: Wouter Tulp on the process of character design
Wouter Tulp, a Freelance illustrator and Character designer from Holland. He has worked on children books, magazines, and now works with animation studios.
Ep.6: John Nevarez on working for animation studios like Pixar and SONY Pictures Animation
John is a Visual Development and Story Artist at Sony Pictures Animation in California. He created designs for Inside Out, Monster’s University and Cars 2.