With many years in the entertainment industry, Nathan Fowkes is a veteran artist with screen credits on 11 feature films including The Prince of Egypt, Spirit, several projects within the Shrek Universe, How to Train Your Dragon, The Legend of Puss in Boots, Rio 2 and recently Ferdinand.
Get in touch with Nathan
- Website: http://www.nathanfowkesart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nathanfowkesart/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Nathan-Fowkes-Art-202447999880857/
“Being good is not enough. The moment we take that good artwork and we put the shapes, colors, character design, landscapes, light and composition in such a way to surprise and excite our audience, we stood above the ‘good’ crowd – that is our passport to the next level!”
- Nathan says that experience he had in Dreamworks in the 1990s, ‘made’ him as an artist. He worked with some of the best artists from the US, Disney, Europe. It was a melting pot!
- Nathan says that until you don’t communicate with the audience through the characters, and you don’t connect with them emotionally, you don’t have a story.
- Nathan strongly advises taking foundational skills courses at online schools first. Afterwards, you can fork out to color, lighting, environment design, emotions from inanimate objects, picture composition, etc.
- A team is very important in Nathan’s opinion. Teamwork pulled us out of the dark ages, this is how we survived, created great stuff like have put the man on the Moon and created great animated movies.
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Some of the movies Nathan worked on
- Nathan’s courses at Schoolism
- Recommended book: Richard Schmid’s books – great oil painter
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Nathan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Nathan Fowkes, used with permission