Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Modern Day James, an artist, designer, and musician known for his popular YouTube channel and Patreon. James creates weekly tutorial videos, live streams and teaches artists in person.
Get in touch with James
“When drawing, think consciously and make series of decisions. It’s not a process out of your control.”
- When James transitioned from full time job to doing his YouTube channel full time, he freaked out, but he was much happier at the same time, because it was the first time he was working exclusively for himself and not to please somebody else
- James tries to boil down the art principles in digestible points to make it more understandable
- Whole drawing thing is about thinking and making conscious decisions. You are solving a design problem in the end
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Kim Jung Gi is James’ idol
- Croquis cafe – Figure drawing resources on YouTube
- Book: Drawn to Life series (20 Golden years of Disney Masterclasses) by Walt Stanchfield
Special thanks to James for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Modern Day James, used with permission
This episode is sponsored by
- INPRNT – Are you looking for a top quality print shop and online store to sell your prints? Then you should definitely check out INPRNT! INPRNT has been helping artists print and sell gallery quality prints of their work all over the world for over a decade. Go to artsideoflife.com/inprnt and use promo code artside to get 10% discount.
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.43: Wolfram Kampffmeyer (Paperwolf) about succeeding on Etsy and Dawanda
Wolfram is the designer and creative mind behind Paperwolf. His passion is creating new paper sculptures with lively expressions.
Ep.186: Part 1 – How to get noticed as an artist on social media with Sweeney Boo
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Sweeney Boo, a freelance artist from Canada known for her graphic novel “Eat and Love Yourself”.
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).
Ep.49: Lena Danya on being a full time oil artist and YouTuber
Lena is a full-time fine artist living in Florida. She is mostly known for painting natural scenes with oil paints her YouTube channel.
Ep.107: Follow your dreams with Prem Sai GS
Prem is a Character Designer currently residing in San Francisco, CA. He previously worked as a design intern at DreamWorks Feature Animation, Glendale.
Ep.134: How to build your credibility with Aiman Akhtar (Fungisaurs)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Aiman Akhtar, a freelance 3D Artist who specializes in character development and 3D print design. He is the creator of a toy line Fungisaurs, the cute hybrid of dinosaurs and mushrooms.