Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Mitch Leeuwe, a 2D artist from Holland. He is experienced in creating characters, backgrounds, props for games, web and animation shows. He is currently working on casual HTML5 games in a studio in Amsterdam.
Get in touch with Mitch
“Even if you are shy, don’t give up, try to go to conventions, do the networking and even if it doesn’t work out, try to find your support group!”
- Mitch says that LinkedIn performs for him much better than Instagram because on LinkedIn you have many professionals looking to hire artists
- Mitch always works on himself and spends learning and improving ca. 1-2 hours every day
- Mitch says that knowing the target group you are trying to reach with your work is the number one thing to consider. Think like if Steven Spielberg liked one of your artworks and he wanted you to create more of a story around it.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Art tools: Wacom Cintiq 27”
- Linkedin professional network
- Conventions & Festivals:
Special thanks to Mitch for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Mitch Leeuwe, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- INPRNT – Are you looking for a top quality print shop and online store to sell your prints? Then you should definitely check out INPRNT! INPRNT has been helping artists print and sell gallery quality prints of their work all over the world for over a decade. Go to artsideoflife.com/inprnt and use promo code artside to get 10% discount.
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.19: About the power of tutorials with Andrew Price from Blender Guru
Andrew is the founder of Blender Guru, the free video tutorials for the open source 3D software, Blender. His goal is to help artists create better artworks.
Ep.139: Chris Ayers on what makes a great character designer
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Chris Ayers, a Character Designer, and Story Artist from LA. He has worked with Dreamworks, Sony Pictures, Disney TV and others. He is known for his book series Daily Zoo, drawing one animal a day.
Ep.47: Chris Orrillo (Krizpii) on how to develop your own art style and his journey as an artist
Christian is a self-taught, visual artist. Most of his art pieces have a glowy and fantastic feel and can be categorized as a contemporary art.
Ep.192: Part 2 – How to prepare portfolio for a big studio with Laura Price (lulusketches)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Laura Price a.k.a Lulusketches, an artist at Disney animation and YouTuber in sunny LA!
Ep.206: Beatrice “Bea” Blue on the importance of enjoying the journey
I am catching up with Beatrice Blue. We chat about what she has been up to since we talked last time - her time in Montreal, her new books and much more.