Ashleigh Izienicki is a 23-year-old freelance illustrator who just recently finished Laguna College of Art and Design and already have her own business. She was born in a small mountain town in Colorado where she grew up raising chickens and riding horses.
She moved to Arizona during high school and then traveled all the way to California for College. Ashleigh currently lives in Laguna Beach, California with her bunny Buffy.
My current dream is to be able to make money doing something I love, creating art! She is about to finish her second coloring book which I can’t wait to see!
Get in touch with Ashleigh
“Be wise, be brave and be tricky” Neil Gaiman
- Best advice by Neil Gaiman. He talked about success. If you have success, you should enjoy it … nobody tells you that … nobody tells you to enjoy it while you get it because it’s all about hassle … it’s gonna be gone soon … sit back and enjoy where you are right now
- People shouldn’t think art is a competition, or other artists are competition. If they get a job, you won’t get it. It’s all about community, engagement, helping each other … it’s not about stepping on each other …
- Ashleigh’s art has been an expression of herself. She went on a self-discovery journey. It’s her in the art, things she likes, things she experienced, anything that happened in her life …
- If you gonna be a freelancer, you should have at least three running incomes. Ashleigh’s income streams consist of galleries, online shops, commissions, conventions and freelance work. You need to diversify and balance it …
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through some links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info: our disclosure.
- Mentioned author – Neil Gaiman – author of The Sandman, Stardust, Coraline
- Mentioned inspirational figures – Guillermo del Toro, James Jean
- Galleries where Ashleigh exhibited
- Business tools
- Book: Richard Adams: Watership Down
- Movie: Donnie Darko
- Fashion videos by Gucci, Prada – beautiful composition, character design. Find them on Vimeo
Special thanks to Ashleigh for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Ashleigh Izienicki, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.133: Wouter Tulp on the process of character design
Wouter Tulp, a Freelance illustrator and Character designer from Holland. He has worked on children books, magazines, and now works with animation studios.
Ep.98: Finding mentors with Ismael Alejandro Moreno Ozuna (IAMO)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ismael Alejandro Moreno Ozuna, aka IAMO from Tijuana, Mexico. He is a Cartoonist and Character Designer mostly known for his popular Nerdmigos webcomic where he shares his passion for telling stories.
Ep.139: Chris Ayers on what makes a great character designer
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Chris Ayers, a Character Designer, and Story Artist from LA. He has worked with Dreamworks, Sony Pictures, Disney TV and others. He is known for his book series Daily Zoo, drawing one animal a day.
Ep.113: Kenny Anderson on how to start your art career
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Kenny Anderson, a character designer, illustrator, and animator. He worked on the Oscar-nominated film "The Illusionist" in 2010 and with companies, such as BBC Ceebeebies, and Disney Interactive.
Ep.40: Lärienne (lariennechan) on how to succeed in different social media
Lärienne, a traditional and digital freelance illustrator from Poland brings various characters, concepts, symbolism, and stories to life.