Ashleigh Izienicki is a 23-year-old freelance illustrator who just recently finished Laguna College of Art and Design and already have her own business. She was born in a small mountain town in Colorado where she grew up raising chickens and riding horses.
She moved to Arizona during high school and then traveled all the way to California for College. Ashleigh currently lives in Laguna Beach, California with her bunny Buffy.
Get in touch with Ashleigh
“Be wise, be brave and be tricky” Neil Gaiman
- Best advice by Neil Gaiman. He talked about success. If you have success, you should enjoy it … nobody tells you that … nobody tells you to enjoy it while you get it because it’s all about hassle … it’s gonna be gone soon … sit back and enjoy where you are right now
- People shouldn’t think art is a competition, or other artists are competition. If they get a job, you won’t get it. It’s all about community, engagement, helping each other … it’s not about stepping on each other …
- Ashleigh’s art has been an expression of herself. She went on a self-discovery journey. It’s her in the art, things she likes, things she experienced, anything that happened in her life …
- If you gonna be a freelancer, you should have at least three running incomes. Ashleigh’s income streams consist of galleries, online shops, commissions, conventions and freelance work. You need to diversify and balance it …
- Mentioned author – Neil Gaiman – author of The Sandman, Stardust, Coraline
- Mentioned inspirational figures – Guillermo del Toro, James Jean
- Galleries where Ashleigh exhibited
- Business tools
- Book: Richard Adams: Watership Down
- Movie: Donnie Darko
- Fashion videos by Gucci, Prada – beautiful composition, character design. Find them on Vimeo
Special thanks to Ashleigh for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Ashleigh Izienicki, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Hi, I am Iva (rhymes with “viva”). I am a full-time self-taught artist behind Art Side of Life® and a Top Teacher on Skillshare. I have 15 years of experience in the creative field as a concept designer, illustrator, art director, and now freelance artist, content creator, and art instructor. My goal is to help you get your creative groove on with Procreate and make awesome art through practical classes, tutorials, Procreate brushes, and guides on art tools, supplies and resources. About me »
More Podcast Episodes:
Evolve Artist Academy: From Aspiring Artist To Success Story with Piper Talladay
Discover how Piper, head instructor at Evolve Artist Academy, helps aspiring artists turn their dreams into success stories in the world of oil painting.
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.207: On being a Creative Director, Illustrator, and Educator with Greg Gunn
I am chatting with Greg Gunn. He is a creative director, illustrator, and animator from LA. He helps passionate people communicate their big ideas.
Ep.206: Beatrice “Bea” Blue on the importance of enjoying the journey
I am catching up with Beatrice Blue. We chat about what she has been up to since we talked last time - her time in Montreal, her new books and much more.
Ep.205: Art licensing tips with Bonnie Christine
Bonnie Christine, an artist and pattern & textile designer. She is most known for her flowery designs, making artworks for companies & products.
Ep.204: Illustration for Motion Design with Sarah Beth Morgan
Sarah Beth Morgan, a freelance art director, motion designer & illustrator based in Portland. She has worked with Gentleman Scholar and Oddfellows.