Ashleigh Izienicki is a 23-year-old freelance illustrator who just recently finished Laguna College of Art and Design and already have her own business. She was born in a small mountain town in Colorado where she grew up raising chickens and riding horses.
She moved to Arizona during high school and then traveled all the way to California for College. Ashleigh currently lives in Laguna Beach, California with her bunny Buffy.
My current dream is to be able to make money doing something I love, creating art! She is about to finish her second coloring book which I can’t wait to see!
Get in touch with Ashleigh
“Be wise, be brave and be tricky” Neil Gaiman
- Best advice by Neil Gaiman. He talked about success. If you have success, you should enjoy it … nobody tells you that … nobody tells you to enjoy it while you get it because it’s all about hassle … it’s gonna be gone soon … sit back and enjoy where you are right now
- People shouldn’t think art is a competition, or other artists are competition. If they get a job, you won’t get it. It’s all about community, engagement, helping each other … it’s not about stepping on each other …
- Ashleigh’s art has been an expression of herself. She went on a self-discovery journey. It’s her in the art, things she likes, things she experienced, anything that happened in her life …
- If you gonna be a freelancer, you should have at least three running incomes. Ashleigh’s income streams consist of galleries, online shops, commissions, conventions and freelance work. You need to diversify and balance it …
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Mentioned author – Neil Gaiman – author of The Sandman, Stardust, Coraline
- Mentioned inspirational figures – Guillermo del Toro, James Jean
- Galleries where Ashleigh exhibited
- Business tools
- Book: Richard Adams: Watership Down
- Movie: Donnie Darko
- Fashion videos by Gucci, Prada – beautiful composition, character design. Find them on Vimeo
Special thanks to Ashleigh for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Ashleigh Izienicki, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.149: Sam Nassour on why you should master the art of observation
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Sam Nassour, an Art Director, and Visual Development Artist, in Dubai. He works mainly in animation and games, with studios like Cartoon Network, DreamWorks TV, and Nickelodeon Jr.
Ep.172: Choosing your color palettes with Jax Sheridan aka Clockbirds
Jax Sheridan, aka Clockbirds, an artist and psychology student, who is most known for her fantasy illustrations and her popular YouTube channel.
Ep.69: Inspiring YouTube art communities with Alice Coles (Hullo Alice)
Alice is an illustrator, animator, designer, artist and a YouTuber. She has a very popular YouTube channel where she makes art videos of all kinds.
Ep.148: Why you can make a living as an artist with David Owens
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with David Owens, illustrator and art director from NY. His focus is on editorial Illustrations, product licensing, brand development and art directing for various regional and international campaigns.
Ep.134: How to build your credibility with Aiman Akhtar (Fungisaurs)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Aiman Akhtar, a freelance 3D Artist who specializes in character development and 3D print design. He is the creator of a toy line Fungisaurs, the cute hybrid of dinosaurs and mushrooms.
Ep.126: How to get a job at big studio with Felipe Machado
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Felipe Machado, a digital illustrator and concept artist from Colombia who is most known for doing the cover art for music bands and working for Lucas Films. He runs Blank Atelier and Colectivo Tajalapiz.