Meike Schneider is a 2D/3D Character & Environment Artist from Germany currently freelancing for various animation studios and working as Instructor and Artist at the PIXL VISN Media Arts Academy from where she graduated with a Diploma in 3D Animation & VFX. Her main duties include teaching the monthly workshops, modeling and demo planning classes, designing brochures, creating 2D/3D art for the company, promoting the Academy on job events and open houses and working on the concept art and 3D for an animated feature trailer.
Her dream has always been to become an excellent artist working on Disney feature animation: “… movies like Cinderella, Spirit, Pocahontas, and Tangled are actually one of the reasons I was inspired to pursue a career in Animation in the first place.””
She is currently working on the artwork and story for her own children’s book!
Join Evolve Artist Program, the world’s simplest art training method with results guaranteed!
★ Use my coupon code to get a special discount
Get in touch with Meike
- Website: meikearts.com
- Instagram: meikearts
- Etsy: MeikeSchneiderARTS
“Don’t be scared about starting doing art, there are lot of people saying you need to start young or early age, but I don’t think you need to start young. Start whenever you want. You just need to do it and practice whole day!“
- Meike’s parents were always supportive, her mom was always encouraging her to do art and to participate in competitions
- Studying books from Andrew Loomis helped her a lot to be more professional with her work
- Meike risked it with choosing to study at PIXL VISN school which was only 1 year old, but she never regretted it. It was one of the best decisions in her life. She now works there as a 3D instructor
- She likes transition from 2D to 3D. It’s like coming to life, rigging, animating it. It becomes a living character …
- Meike is most inspired at night. The later it is, the more she gets inspired
- She likes to diversify her income – she has 3 income streams
- Full Time job, freelance, commissions and Etsy online shop
- She loves her iPad pro – she can draw wherever she goes. She stopped using her Wacom since she bought it
- Her favourite quote is by Walt Disney – “If you can dream it, you can do it”
- 3D School Meike went to and now teaches 3D: PIXL VISN in Cologne, Germany
- Her mentor, when she was 16 years old, was Bernd Pohlenz, the founder of toonpool.com. He’s a cartoonist/ caricaturist and the Federal Chancellor of Germany, Gerhard Schröder, bought one of his political caricature paintings of himself.
- Art Tools:
- Winsor & Newton watercolors
- iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and ProCreate App
- 3D software – AutoDesk Maya, Pixologic ZBrush, Nuke (compositing) and Adobe Photoshop
- T-Shirts company Meike collaborates with – Spreadshirt.de
- Event where you can meet Meike: Comic Con in Dortmund, December 9-10th 2017
- Competition participation
- After graduation, she went to CG Student award finals (now Rookies)
- Artist of the Month contest: 3D artist of the month – Rebusfarm
- Books by Andrew Loomis
- Preston Blair – Cartoon Animation
- The Illusion of Life – Ollie Johnston
- The art books from Studios – The Art of Moana
- Favorite movies:
- Disney – Wreck-It Ralph, Moana
- 3D tutorials site Meike recommends: Pluralsight
Special thanks to Meike for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Meike Schneider, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Hi, I am Iva (rhymes with “viva”). I am a full-time self-taught artist behind Art Side of Life® and a Top Teacher on Skillshare. I have 15 years of experience in the creative field as a concept designer, illustrator, art director, and now freelance artist, content creator, and art instructor. My goal is to help you get your creative groove on with Procreate and make awesome art through practical classes, tutorials, Procreate brushes, and guides on art tools, supplies and resources. About me »
More Podcast Episodes:
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).