Meike Schneider is a 2D/3D Character & Environment Artist from Germany currently freelancing for various animation studios and working as Instructor and Artist at the PIXL VISN Media Arts Academy from where she graduated with a Diploma in 3D Animation & VFX. Her main duties include teaching the monthly workshops, modeling and demo planning classes, designing brochures, creating 2D/3D art for the company, promoting the Academy on job events and open houses and working on the concept art and 3D for an animated feature trailer.
Her dream has always been to become an excellent artist working on Disney feature animation: “… movies like Cinderella, Spirit, Pocahontas, and Tangled are actually one of the reasons I was inspired to pursue a career in Animation in the first place.””
She is currently working on the artwork and story for her own children’s book!
Get in touch with Meike
“Don’t be scared about starting doing art, there are lot of people saying you need to start young or early age, but I don’t think you need to start young. Start whenever you want. You just need to do it and practice whole day!“
- Meike’s parents were always supportive, her mom was always encouraging her to do art and to participate in competitions
- Studying books from Andrew Loomis helped her a lot to be more professional with her work
- Meike risked it with choosing to study at PIXL VISN school which was only 1 year old, but she never regretted it. It was one of the best decisions in her life. She now works there as a 3D instructor
- She likes transition from 2D to 3D. It’s like coming to life, rigging, animating it. It becomes a living character …
- Meike is most inspired at night. The later it is, the more she gets inspired
- She likes to diversify her income – she has 3 income streams
- Full Time job, freelance, commissions and Etsy online shop
- She loves her iPad pro – she can draw wherever she goes. She stopped using her Wacom since she bought it
- Her favourite quote is by Walt Disney – “If you can dream it, you can do it”
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- 3D School Meike went to and now teaches 3D: PIXL VISN in Cologne, Germany
- Her mentor, when she was 16 years old, was Bernd Pohlenz, the founder of toonpool.com. He’s a cartoonist/ caricaturist and the Federal Chancellor of Germany, Gerhard Schröder, bought one of his political caricature paintings of himself.
- Art Tools:
- T-Shirts company Meike collaborates with – Spreadshirt.de
- Event where you can meet Meike: Comic Con in Dortmund, December 9-10th 2017
- Competition participation
- Favorite movies:
- Disney – Wreck-It Ralph, Moana
- 3D tutorials site Meike recommends: Pluralsight
Special thanks to Meike for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Meike Schneider, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.113: Kenny Anderson on how to start your art career
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Kenny Anderson, a character designer, illustrator, and animator. He worked on the Oscar-nominated film "The Illusionist" in 2010 and with companies, such as BBC Ceebeebies, and Disney Interactive.
Ep.5: About Manga art and hard work with Asia Ladowska
Asia Ladowska is a designer & illustrator based in the UK. She creates amazing characters inspired by Manga and created by either pencils or Copic markers
Ep.145: How to find your art style with Abigail Larson
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Abigail Larson, a mixed-media illustrator. Her work appeared in Spectrum Fantastic Art, Art Fundamentals, and Digital Artist and she’s worked with publishers like IDW Publishing, Titan Comics, 3DTotal.
Ep.77: The art of conceptual photography with Anya Anti
Anya is internationally published and award-winning photo artist from New York. Her work has been featured in BoredPanda, Petapixels and Fstoppers.
Ep.8: Why doing art equals running a business with Erin Dollar from Cotton & Flax
Erin is the designer and maker behind Cotton & Flax, a line of handmade textile home goods, which she founded in 2012.