Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Mauricio Abril, a Concept Artist who switched from Molecular Biology to art. He has worked with Disney, Universal Creative, Ubisoft, and Hasbro. Mauricio teaches at CGMA and LA Academy of Figurative Art.
Get in touch with Mauricio
“Be patient, it’s not a race, it’s not about how much time you spend, but about the focus!”
- Mauricio graduated in molecular biology and while he was working on his Ph.D. he picked up drawing again during those loooong lab tests. He realized that he doesn’t want to continue and changed his focus towards arts
- What Mauricio learned about communicating stories is that every detail of the composition is important, even person’s prop on the table, guitar, horn, it’s not enough to draw them, but details communicate the story. The story is in the details
- The school gave Mauricio the biggest kickoff. The benefits of going to any kind of school are artistic friends, networking, passive conversations, learning about things and serendipity
- As in any other case, the art school was very expensive for Mauricio and he took a bit of blind faith. He realized that if he meets it midway with hard work, it will work out. That’s very important because art school will not give you everything. You have to put in a lot of hard work!
- Art Center College of Design in Pasadena is where Mauricio studied
- Mauricio’s book – Small Dogs
- Art tool of choice – Adobe Photoshop and a sketching pencil
Special thanks to Mauricio for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Mauricio Abril, used with permission