Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Mauricio Abril, a Concept Artist who switched from Molecular Biology to art. He has worked with Disney, Universal Creative, Ubisoft, and Hasbro. Mauricio teaches at CGMA and LA Academy of Figurative Art.
Get in touch with Mauricio
“Be patient, it’s not a race, it’s not about how much time you spend, but about the focus!”
- Mauricio graduated in molecular biology and while he was working on his Ph.D. he picked up drawing again during those loooong lab tests. He realized that he doesn’t want to continue and changed his focus towards arts
- What Mauricio learned about communicating stories is that every detail of the composition is important, even person’s prop on the table, guitar, horn, it’s not enough to draw them, but details communicate the story. The story is in the details
- The school gave Mauricio the biggest kickoff. The benefits of going to any kind of school are artistic friends, networking, passive conversations, learning about things and serendipity
- As in any other case, the art school was very expensive for Mauricio and he took a bit of blind faith. He realized that if he meets it midway with hard work, it will work out. That’s very important because art school will not give you everything. You have to put in a lot of hard work!
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Art Center College of Design in Pasadena is where Mauricio studied
- Mauricio’s book – Small Dogs
- Art tool of choice – Adobe Photoshop and a sketching pencil
Special thanks to Mauricio for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Mauricio Abril, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.70: Storytelling for artists with Tom Booth
Tom is an illustrator, author, and art director working in Scholastic. He just released his 3rd book Don't Blink.
Ep.193: Part 2 – Creating stories in your art with Andy Estrada
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Andy Estrada, on Instagram known as andy_estra, an illustrator from Texas.
Ep.47: Chris Orrillo (Krizpii) on how to develop your own art style and his journey as an artist
Christian is a self-taught, visual artist. Most of his art pieces have a glowy and fantastic feel and can be categorized as a contemporary art.
Ep.77: The art of conceptual photography with Anya Anti
Anya is internationally published and award-winning photo artist from New York. Her work has been featured in BoredPanda, Petapixels and Fstoppers.
Ep.109: There will always be someone who loves your art with Lemia Crescent
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lemia Crescent, a self-taught artist and video games appreciator. She has a very popular YouTube and Twitch channel where she shares a video game, movie and anime speedpaints, art supply reviews, and tutorials.
Ep.116: Discipline will help you achieve anything with Carolina Parada (Carosurreal)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Carolina Parada, an illustrator, biologist, and researcher originally from Colombia, now living and working in France. She is most known for her stories that she writes and draws by herself!