Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Marc Scheff, an artist, educator, and curator from Brooklyn. His work has been featured in ImagineFX, Spectrum, NY Times. He teaches figure drawing Bootcamp and intro Illustration course at Smart school.
Get in touch with Marc
“Grit and mental toughness. Every day, make sure you are making something and pay attention to it. If you ever get frustrated, look where you were 5 years ago!”
- Marc studied Computer Science at Harvard and got into thriving startup scene in San Francisco before it went bust in the early 2000s and he picked up art again and funded study at Academy of Art University from his severance package
- Marc is very meticulous about time management and improving in that area. He uses a Kanban board to progress with his projects and he practices all the time, no matter what happens, even if it’s only for 10-15 minutes.
- Marc’s art process is a process of constant evolution, exploration, and discovery.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Art tools
- Artresin.com – Resin – thick material with a special formula, non-toxic, doesn’t yellow when aging
- Mentor: Rebecca Guay
- Marc’s project: Make your art work
- Schools were Marc teaches
- Art Camp by Noah Bradley
Special thanks to Marc for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Marc Scheff, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- INPRNT – Are you looking for a top quality print shop and online store to sell your prints? Then you should definitely check out INPRNT! INPRNT has been helping artists print and sell gallery quality prints of their work all over the world for over a decade. Go to artsideoflife.com/inprnt and use promo code artside to get 10% discount.
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.82: Freelancing since she was 15 years old with Devin Elle Kurtz (Tamberella)
Devin started her professional freelance illustrator career when she was only 15 years old! She creates stunning animals, creatures, and natural environment work. She loves to tutor and teach other artists as well and you can learn from her during private consultations or from her tutorials on Patreon and Gumroad.
Ep.39: Ahmed Aldoori on talent and discipline
Ahmed Aldoori graduated from Art Center College of Design with a BS in Entertainment Design. He enjoys and is very active in teaching art through YouTube.
Ep.9: Promote positivity and happiness with Tatyana Vogt from Love Teacup Kisses
Tatyana is an illustrator & YouTuber that makes fun, silly, sassy and cute drawings along with awesome products and videos featuring those drawings.
Ep.192: Part 1 – How I got the job at Disney with Laura Price (lulusketches)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Laura Price a.k.a Lulusketches, an artist at Disney animation and YouTuber in sunny LA!
Ep.67: Tips for preparing your portfolio with Matt Boismier (Tooninator)
Matt Boismier, also known as Tooninator, is a character designer and animation art director originally from Ontario, now living and working in Vancouver.
Ep.153: How much should I charge for my art with Lei Melendres (Doodle Art Enthusiasts)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lei Melendres, a freelance illustrator, and professional doodle artist from the Philippines. He currently serves as the Head of Doodle Art Enthusiasts, and as a Creative Director of Doodle Arts Magazine.