Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Levi Prewitt, a cartoonist from San Francisco, California. He is the creator of Repo Creepo a comic about the hunters of the ghost, vampires, and daemons! He also worked on a card game Kill the Unicorns.
Get in touch with Levi
“Embrace the “suck” and be a little terrible because that’s how you get good”
- Levi learned early when growing as an artist that talent doesn’t get you very far, but hard work and challenging yourself at things that you are bad at will!
- One of Levi’s income stream is auctioning his art on Instagram
- Levi says that the things you are afraid of are the things you haven’t done properly yet so challenge yourself and get better
- Levi advises in regards to client work, say yes, ask questions later
- Levi says that if money is not an object, you should get to an art school, but if it is, you shouldn’t do student debt. You don’t need school for creating art. Yes, you will get connections, will grow your skills, but you still have to do the work, so don’t expect the school to propel you forward that much!
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Levi’s comic series – Repo Creepo
- Idols – Miyazaki, John Lasseter
- Tool: Rhodia pad for todo lists
Special thanks to Levi for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Levi Prewitt, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.186: Part 2 – Designing engaging characters with Sweeney Boo
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Sweeney Boo, a freelance artist from Canada known for her graphic novel “Eat and Love Yourself”.
Ep.158: The adventure of children’s book illustration with Richard Smythe
Richard Smythe, an awarded picture books illustrator and oil painter from the UK. He has worked with publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Paula Wiseman.
Ep.144: Write and illustrate your own book series with Ruby Roth
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ruby Roth, artist, designer, and the author-illustrator of four books for kids on veganism. Ruby focuses on art direction, and illustration for clients in fashion, art, music, and entertainment.
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.197: Evolve Artist Program with Kevin Murphy
Interview with Kevin Murphy, the creator of the Evolve Artist Program, the world's most effective art education program.
Ep.101: Nick Runge on why it’s important to draw and paint every day
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Nick Runge, a watercolor, oil and comic books artist originally living in LA. He is most known as a portrait painter, describing his art “abstracted realism”. In the past, he worked for IDW and Dark Horse.