Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lei Melendres, a freelance illustrator, and professional doodle artist from the Philippines. He currently serves as the Head of Doodle Art Enthusiasts, and as a Creative Director of Doodle Arts Magazine.
Get in touch with Lei
“We all have our own timings for success. As long as you put your best into it, it doesn’t matter if you move slow, but that you move forward. You never know, you may surprise yourself!”
- Lei was the kid who could draw in the grammar school, but once he joined the artistic high school, there were so many other great artistic kids. It challenged him to get even better, to draw things that he was not comfortable with and learn by trial and error
- Lei is managing the Doodle Art Enthusiasts group in the Philippines with more than 30’000 members. They improve together with assignments, they promote each other and find work together, they do ‘Doodle clash’ a doodle version of a Rap or Dance battle and then they do Doodle talks which is the doodle version of TED talks
- Lei wishes he knew at school about business management because even when you are an artist you need to know how to manage your art and business
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Doodle Art group Lei manages: Doodle Art Enthusiasts
- Favorite tools: Uni Pin Drawing pens, Tombow brush pens
Special thanks to Lei for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Lei Melendres, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
This episode is sponsored by
- ArtSnacks – a subscription box of unique, high-quality art supplies. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code artside10. Don’t wait, visit artsideoflife.com/artsnacks and use promo code artside10
- Astropad Studio – an app that turns your iPad Pro into a wireless graphics tablet for your Mac. It works with any Mac app, so you can use Photoshop and Illustrator right on your iPad. As a member of Art Side of Life community, you will get an exclusive 10% discount with the promo code ARTSIDE. To get started, go to artsideoflife.com/astropad and enter the promo code ARTSIDE
Ep.199: Hobby which turned into an interesting career with Donna Adi
Donna Adi, illustrator and photographer. We talk about how her hobby turned into a full time career, working with well-known fashion brands!
Ep.54: Helga Jiang from PuddingFishcakes about art and craft communities on YouTube
Helga has been making video tutorials in an effort to bring the joy of polymer clay and crafts to other crafters like herself.
Ep.77: The art of conceptual photography with Anya Anti
Anya is internationally published and award-winning photo artist from New York. Her work has been featured in BoredPanda, Petapixels and Fstoppers.
Ep.40: Lärienne (lariennechan) on how to succeed in different social media
Lärienne, a traditional and digital freelance illustrator from Poland brings various characters, concepts, symbolism, and stories to life.
Ep.129: Why you should welcome feedback for your art with Pernille Ørum
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Pernille Ørum, a freelance illustrator and character designer from Denmark. Her clients include Disney, Warner Bros, Mattel, and Nickelodeon. She was the lead character designer on DC Superhero Girls.