Haley Newsome a.k.a LavenderTowne is a comic book artist, a Ravenclaw, and a little sleepy.
I write and draw two comics, Unfamiliar (a story about some wee witches) and Disasterpiece (a comedy comic about my life at art school.) I also make some Youtube videos and do lots of random art on the side! I love making things and I spend almost all of my free time working on my comics and my Youtube channel.
Learn from my easy-to-follow online classes such as Making Money as an Artist, Color & Light, Color Palettes, Perspective & Composition, Instagram for Artists, and more!
She is doing pretty well on Patreon and as she puts it: ” … Patreon is a stable income, which helps me relax and keep working on my comics and videos without having to worry! I sprinkle rewards all throughout the month, and Patrons hear first about new projects!”
Get in touch with Haley
- YouTube: LavenderTowne
- Patreon: Haley Mewsome
- Facebook: haleybot
- Comics: Unfamiliar (a story about wee witches) and Disasterpiece (a comedy comic about her life at art school)
“Whatever it is you want to do, just start today, it doesn’t matter if you are not good enough, if you start, things will turn out to be fine, you will learn and you will go places!”
- She attended Alberta College of Arts and Design in Calgary – she was looking at Canada for universities because she had heard they have high quality education lot cheaper than in the US, compared to like CalArts
- She likes to make her art available as much as possible because of young artists who don’t have tons of disposable income to spend
- She plans by thinking couple of years into the future and visualizing it
- On selecting projects, she tries to think about if it’s gonna negatively impact anything that is going on right now – YouTube or ‘Unfamiliar” (her comic) – if it does, she turns it down, because she wants to stay loyal to people that got her where she is now
- Her weirdest inspiration is stuff she doesn’t like – boring movie or a show, because it always makes her want to improve it …
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Everything comics related
- Twitch – live streaming video platform
- Art tools
- YouTube resources
- Arts online game: Passpartout: The Starving Artist – Will your art end up in the Louvre or on your parents’ fridge?
- Movies by Wes Anderson are very aesthetically appealing and the composition is just perfect
- Book(s): Harry Potter
Special thanks to Haley for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Haley Newsome, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.83: Old masters and the simplicity with Chris Solarski
Chris is a game designer and author who specializes in the relationships between video game aesthetics and user experience.
Ep.194: What’s new with Ahmed Aldoori
In this episode we are chatting with Ahmed about what is new in his life since we talked two years ago! Enjoy!!
Ep.189: Favorite Art Supplies – Interview Highlights
Hey, guys! This episode is about highlights from the previous Art Side of Life interviews. Alisa Vysochina, Tomasz Mro, Chantal Horeis, Marco Bucci, Djamila Knopf, and Carrosurreal share their favorite art supplies and art tools.
Ep.67: Tips for preparing your portfolio with Matt Boismier (Tooninator)
Matt Boismier, also known as Tooninator, is a character designer and animation art director originally from Ontario, now living and working in Vancouver.
Ep.39: Ahmed Aldoori on talent and discipline
Ahmed Aldoori graduated from Art Center College of Design with a BS in Entertainment Design. He enjoys and is very active in teaching art through YouTube.