Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lars Degenhardt, aka Laovaan from Germany. He is a watercolor, manga and digital artist from Germany known for his popular YouTube channel where he shares his art process and other videos
Get in touch with Laovaan
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/laovaan/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Laovaan
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SirKite92
“Be open to new things but be also critical … inform yourself to understand and move forward”
- For Laovaan, Instagram is a very quick social media. You need to post every 1-2 days to keep growing. Sketches are fine, but fully elaborated pictures don’t get so much attention. On the other hand, DeviantArt gets you a lot of digital art appreciation
- Laovaan compares making your own art and spreading your ideas to Lady Gaga. She did plastic/pop music to get attention and then she introduced her own things that express her. You can do what you want when there are enough people watching. Sometimes it’s frustrating and people do not pay attention and you do fanart and it blows. You can either be sad or use it to your advantage, e.g. do fanart and sneak in your work in between
- Something Laovaan wishes to know is that using reference is OK and you can evolve better with references as an artist.
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Video games
- Animex – forum in Germany for anime and manga fans. It has local chapters that meet regularly in person
- Art tools
- Inspirational artists
- Learning via Skillshare
Special thanks to Lars for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Lars Degenhardt, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.112: Ashley Spires on how to choose your art agent
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ashley Spires, a children books Author and illustrator. She has published more than 20 books and worked with clients like Penguin Random House and Kids Can Press. She is the creator of the Binky The Space Cat.
Ep.7: From Dreamworks to successful Kickstarter campaigns with Jason Brubaker from Coffee Table Comics
Jason is a visual development and story board artist, producing graphic novels full-time. Some of his credits include Blade, Pitch Black, and Van Helsing.
Ep.73: From studying psychology to becoming a full time artist with Gosia Kmiec (Mkmiec Art)
Małgorzata is a freelance 2D artist, specializing in digital illustration and concept art (focusing on character and creature design).
Ep.148: Why you can make a living as an artist with David Owens
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with David Owens, illustrator and art director from NY. His focus is on editorial Illustrations, product licensing, brand development and art directing for various regional and international campaigns.
Ep.39: Ahmed Aldoori on talent and discipline
Ahmed Aldoori graduated from Art Center College of Design with a BS in Entertainment Design. He enjoys and is very active in teaching art through YouTube.
Ep.88: Making your art prints special with Fleur de Marie (Coffeshere)
Fleur Marie is an illustrator, character designer and concept artist from Guadalajara, Mexico. She studied Graphic Design and Animation and currently works in Art Department of the local animation studio called Mister Machin where she creates character design and background art.