Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lars Degenhardt, aka Laovaan from Germany. He is a watercolor, manga and digital artist from Germany known for his popular YouTube channel where he shares his art process and other videos
Get in touch with Laovaan
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/laovaan/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Laovaan
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SirKite92
“Be open to new things but be also critical … inform yourself to understand and move forward”
- For Laovaan, Instagram is a very quick social media. You need to post every 1-2 days to keep growing. Sketches are fine, but fully elaborated pictures don’t get so much attention. On the other hand, DeviantArt gets you a lot of digital art appreciation
- Laovaan compares making your own art and spreading your ideas to Lady Gaga. She did plastic/pop music to get attention and then she introduced her own things that express her. You can do what you want when there are enough people watching. Sometimes it’s frustrating and people do not pay attention and you do fanart and it blows. You can either be sad or use it to your advantage, e.g. do fanart and sneak in your work in between
- Something Laovaan wishes to know is that using reference is OK and you can evolve better with references as an artist.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Video games
- Animex – forum in Germany for anime and manga fans. It has local chapters that meet regularly in person
- Art tools
- Inspirational artists
- Learning via Skillshare
Special thanks to Lars for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Lars Degenhardt, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.116: Discipline will help you achieve anything with Carolina Parada (Carosurreal)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Carolina Parada, an illustrator, biologist, and researcher originally from Colombia, now living and working in France. She is most known for her stories that she writes and draws by herself!
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.109: There will always be someone who loves your art with Lemia Crescent
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lemia Crescent, a self-taught artist and video games appreciator. She has a very popular YouTube and Twitch channel where she shares a video game, movie and anime speedpaints, art supply reviews, and tutorials.
Ep.75: Kerby Rosanes on why you should never quit drawing!
Kerby Rosanes is a Philippines-based illustrator who works mainly with ordinary black fine liners to magically illustrate his “doodle” world and Animorphia.
Ep.104: Ben Fiquet on being a video games artist
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ben Fiquet, an illustrator, and CEO of Lizardcube game studio. He has worked on different projects with companies like Dreamworks, Chez Eddy, King.com. A recent release is Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap.