Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lars Degenhardt, aka Laovaan from Germany. He is a watercolor, manga and digital artist from Germany known for his popular YouTube channel where he shares his art process and other videos
Get in touch with Laovaan
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/laovaan/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Laovaan
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SirKite92
“Be open to new things but be also critical … inform yourself to understand and move forward”
- For Laovaan, Instagram is a very quick social media. You need to post every 1-2 days to keep growing. Sketches are fine, but fully elaborated pictures don’t get so much attention. On the other hand, DeviantArt gets you a lot of digital art appreciation
- Laovaan compares making your own art and spreading your ideas to Lady Gaga. She did plastic/pop music to get attention and then she introduced her own things that express her. You can do what you want when there are enough people watching. Sometimes it’s frustrating and people do not pay attention and you do fanart and it blows. You can either be sad or use it to your advantage, e.g. do fanart and sneak in your work in between
- Something Laovaan wishes to know is that using reference is OK and you can evolve better with references as an artist.
- Video games
- Animex – forum in Germany for anime and manga fans. It has local chapters that meet regularly in person
- Art tools
- Inspirational artists
- Learning via Skillshare
Special thanks to Lars for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Lars Degenhardt, used with permission