Julia is an Academy of Art University graduate residing in Burbank, California. Since January 2016, she has been a Concept Artist at Disney Interactive where she assists in designing characters and backgrounds for Disney’s mobile games.
In her illustrations, she likes to be on the whimsical side; most interested in color, shapes, and storytelling. She has been recognized by the Society of Illustrators in New York, as well as participating for four years in Academy of Art’s annual Spring Show. Julia’s work has been published by Spectrum 23 Fantastic Art, 3DTotalPublishing “Beyond Art Fundamentals – A Guide to Emotion, Mood, and Storytelling”, and Simon and Schuster Publishing.
Julia has been a visual development artist on an unreleased animated short film with a group of passionate artists, a team called SOBA. The film had its first trailer debuting at CTN Animation Expo in November 2016.
Get in touch with Julia
“Never stop learning, keep it up! Even if you feel burnt out, it’s OK, don’t drop your passion, just keep it up!”
- Julia thinks that if you start directly with Photoshop, there is something missing … you should really try painting outside
- The biggest turning point for Julia was a week before graduation. A friend who was interning at Disney Interactive recommended her for the next open position for Concept Art. She did the interview through Skype and got accepted
- Portfolio for Disney?
- Julia took some tips from teachers and took portfolio prep classes in her final year, to know which works to include, for example showing the steps, ugly stages and the final product Showing a wide range of characters, backgrounds and showed you are specializing in something
- Strengths/weaknesses building? Julia knows about her weaknesses and character design is not her strong suit, so she has been going to figure drawing workshops, relearning the basics.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Julia went to Academy of Art University SF and studied illustration
- She had supportive teachers – Chuck Pyle, Director of Academy of Art University’s School of Illustration – very supportive and pushed her to do her best
- Movie that influenced Julia so much is The Little Mermaid
- Art tools:
- Events where Julia went:
- Short film that Julia has been working on with super passionate group of ppl SOBA Productions – Sonder – she did viz dev, characters, exploring the world
- Fav quote – “Create whatever creates revolution in your heart” by Elizabeth Gilbert
Special thanks to Julia for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Julia Blattman, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.126: How to get a job at big studio with Felipe Machado
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Felipe Machado, a digital illustrator and concept artist from Colombia who is most known for doing the cover art for music bands and working for Lucas Films. He runs Blank Atelier and Colectivo Tajalapiz.
Ep.20: Don’t think about other artists as competition with Ashleigh Izienicki (missupacey)
Ashleigh is a freelance illustrator from Colorado. Her current dream is to be able to make money doing something she loves, creating art!
Ep.113: Kenny Anderson on how to start your art career
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Kenny Anderson, a character designer, illustrator, and animator. He worked on the Oscar-nominated film "The Illusionist" in 2010 and with companies, such as BBC Ceebeebies, and Disney Interactive.
Ep.183: Part 2 – How to grow on Instagram with David Alvarez (davexp)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with David Alvarez, also known as DaveXP on Instagram who is a digital artist and illustrator from Costa Rica.
Ep.143: Awesome tips for creating stories and characters with Armand Baltazar (Timeless book series)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Armand Baltazar, a background & visdev artist, and art director. He worked with big studios such as Dreamworks, Walt Disney, and Pixar. He is also the creator of a fantasy book series called Timeless!