John is working as a Visual Development and Story Artist at Sony Pictures Animation in California. He created designs for Pixar animated feature films such as Inside Out, Monster’s University and Cars 2. We met when I was living in Denmark and working for LEGO.
John came to teach an Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark. I asked him if he would like to do a workshop in LEGO too and he accepted! It was a great inspiration to talk with him about his many years of experience in studios – Storyboard Artist at Walt Disney Studios, Sketch Artist at Pixar Animation Studios, Art Director at Ken Duncan Studios and others. What is more, he also worked as a storyboard artist in Disney Television Animation on numerous shows including Kim Possible. As a designer for Disney Toons, he worked on memorable Tinkerbell and Brother Bear 2! He’s also worked on Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, SCOOB and now he’s currently providing visual development for The Toto Project for the Warner Animation Group.
Get in touch with John
- Website: johnnevarez.carbonmade.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/javajohn/
- Facebook: john.nevarez
“It’s all good in the hood”
- “Always be hungry, try and find something you are passionate about and do it, don’t be afraid to make mistakes, be fearless. You gonna make mistakes, we are human. It’s ok to make mistakes, just keep drawing through the mistakes and that will make you a stronger artist.”
- “If you working for a studio, just be nice, don’t be a jerk, be a pro and try to do the best you can, let your art speak for itself”
- “Be hungry, learn something, e.g. character design, then learn backgrounds design, then storyboards, then painting, then do a short 7 min. story, then a 14 min. story, then feature length story. Build up and just keep doing it!
- “Start looking at films, look at scenes – study them – repeat. What do the visuals, editing, scenes tell you? Observe, start doing it and don’t ever stop!
- “Don’t wait for Pixar or Sony to tell you to do it. Do it now and be whatever ‘studio’ you like!
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- University John went to: UC Santa Barbara
- Apprenticeship at Disney Animation Studios
- Google Spotlight stories on VR – Pearl – he got to learn working with VR and worked with Patrick Osborne
- Art tools
- Events where you can meet John in 2017
- Comic Con Erie (Pennsylvania) – September 22-24, 2017
- Schoolism LIVE workshop in Copenhagen – October 14-15, 2017
- NEMO Academy in Florence – workshops – October 25 – November 5th, 2017
- Lucca comic festival – November 1-5, 2017
- CTN Expo in LA, California – November 17-19, 2017
- Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle – March 1-4, 2018
Special thanks to John for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by John Nevarez, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.68: Stefan Hansson on how to be a successful artist in gaming industry
In this episode I chat with Stefan Hansson, who works as a Freelance Concept Artist, Illustrator, and Art Director within the creative industries.
Ep.85: Hieu Nguyen (Kelogsloops) on capturing feelings in your artworks
Hieu Nguyen, better known by his artist name Kelogsloops, is a digital and watercolor artist based out of Melbourne, Australia.
Ep.5: About Manga art and hard work with Asia Ladowska
Asia Ladowska is a designer & illustrator based in the UK. She creates amazing characters inspired by Manga and created by either pencils or Copic markers
Ep.128: Be a student of life with Brian Ajhar
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Brian Ajhar, a character designer, illustrator, and storyteller. His art career has spanned 3 decades and his clients include magazines, newspapers, advertising agencies, corporations, and book publishers.
Ep.169: Knowing your value as an artist with Isadora Zeferino
Isadora Zeferino, a freelance illustrator and visual development artist from Rio . She is most known for her positive artworks on her social media.
Ep.125: Collaborate with others to improve your skills with Hedvig H-S aka Vixiearts
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Hedvig H-S, better known as Vixiearts, a concept artist, freelance illustrator & comic artist. She started as a comic artist in 2004 and has since then created art for books, animation, games, magazines.