Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Jessica Fong, an illustrator with the traditional art background and a co-founder of indie game studio Lonely Egg.The studio develops highly artistic games with their first game “In the Keeper’s Shadow”.
Get in touch with Jessica
“All advice is bad. As an artist you want to be living your own journey and experiences. It’s good to learn from other artists, but you need to forge your own mistakes, successes and live the life you wanna live!”
- When she was studying, Jessica started her own club for concept artists so they can improve faster and help each other succeed. They would do daily sketching, presentation standups and inspiration sessions
- Jessica advises, before you go into business, try to learn as much possible to avoid mistakes down the road. She says that her peers helped her the most with all the advice.
- As an artist, you should care deeply about your own IP, Jessica says. You don’t want to lose rights to these characters and ideas that have lived with you for so many years.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- School Jessica attended https://www.calpoly.edu/
- Jessica’s indie gaming studio: Lonely Egg Studio
- Dan Howard, our guest from Episode 91 is one of the team members
Special thanks to Jessica for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Jessica Fong, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.140: How to get past things that hold us back with Karly Jade Catto
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Karly Jade Catto, a Character Designer, and Illustrator from Utah. Karly's clients include Hasbro, Abrams Kids, Fisher-Price, American Girl Magazine. She is currently working in children's TV Animation.
Ep.70: Storytelling for artists with Tom Booth
Tom is an illustrator, author, and art director working in Scholastic. He just released his 3rd book Don't Blink.
Ep.66: From studying Law to successful art career with Georgi Georgiev (Goshun)
Georgi is an illustrator and concept artist from Sofia, Bulgaria. He worked on concept art and matte paintings for movies such as Conan and Expendables.
Ep.78: The path of an artist with Sebastien Le Divenah
Sébastien is a French concept artist, illustrator, and art director currently working at Supamonks studio and in the animation film industry.
Ep.82: Freelancing since she was 15 years old with Devin Elle Kurtz (Tamberella)
Devin started her professional freelance illustrator career when she was only 15 years old! She creates stunning animals, creatures, and natural environment work. She loves to tutor and teach other artists as well and you can learn from her during private consultations or from her tutorials on Patreon and Gumroad.