Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Jessica Fong, an illustrator with the traditional art background and a co-founder of indie game studio Lonely Egg.The studio develops highly artistic games with their first game “In the Keeper’s Shadow”.
Get in touch with Jessica
“All advice is bad. As an artist you want to be living your own journey and experiences. It’s good to learn from other artists, but you need to forge your own mistakes, successes and live the life you wanna live!”
- When she was studying, Jessica started her own club for concept artists so they can improve faster and help each other succeed. They would do daily sketching, presentation standups and inspiration sessions
- Jessica advises, before you go into business, try to learn as much possible to avoid mistakes down the road. She says that her peers helped her the most with all the advice.
- As an artist, you should care deeply about your own IP, Jessica says. You don’t want to lose rights to these characters and ideas that have lived with you for so many years.
Art Side of Life tools & resources*
- Audible – 30-day FREE – learn by listening to hundreds of books
- Freshbooks – 30-day FREE – super easy to use invoice and accounting software for freelancers
- Trusted Housesitters – live for free when traveling, get new inspiration and avoid art blocks
- School Jessica attended https://www.calpoly.edu/
- Jessica’s indie gaming studio: Lonely Egg Studio
- Dan Howard, our guest from Episode 91 is one of the team members
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Jessica for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Jessica Fong, used with permission
*Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.