Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Isaac Orloff, a visdev artist from LA. He has worked on television shows, games, and film projects with Zynga, Marvel animation, and Dreamworks. He is also known for the Sketch Dailies project.
Get in touch with Isaac
“Embrace hard moments, because that means you are progressing”
- Isaac realized early on that he has to move from East coast to California if he wanted to work in animation. Pretty much, 95% of all the roads in animation lead to LA.
- Isaac found all the studio jobs via referrals, being nice to people. In the last job, he was recommended for the position by a friend. Having somebody on the inside is a huge help.
- Isaac owes a lot to CTN Expo, because he made many contacts and friends
- Isaac was fortunate enough to have his work reviewd by Peter DeSeve who gave him strong critique about his ‘shortcuts’ and that he should draw things how they really look. You should always learn from people who excel in the area you want to be in the future.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Inspirational artists
- Artistic tool – all Adobe Photoshop
Special thanks to Isaac for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Isaac Orloff, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.6: John Nevarez on working for animation studios like Pixar and SONY Pictures Animation
John is a Visual Development and Story Artist at Sony Pictures Animation in California. He created designs for Inside Out, Monster’s University and Cars 2.
Ep.192: Part 1 – How I got the job at Disney with Laura Price (lulusketches)
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Laura Price a.k.a Lulusketches, an artist at Disney animation and YouTuber in sunny LA!
Ep.57: How to grow your community online with Isabel Weber (Kassiopeeia)
Kassi is a creative watercolor illustrator based in Germany. Using mostly pastel color palette, her characters always feel airy and dreamy.
Ep.101: Nick Runge on why it’s important to draw and paint every day
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Nick Runge, a watercolor, oil and comic books artist originally living in LA. He is most known as a portrait painter, describing his art “abstracted realism”. In the past, he worked for IDW and Dark Horse.
Ep.37: Why going to art school might not be the best for you with Chantal Horeis
Chantal is an Illustrator and concept artist from Germany. She attended the Art Academy in Düsseldorf, where she trained to draw and paint traditionally.