Alice is an illustrator, animator, designer, artist and a YouTuber.
She has a very popular YouTube channel where she makes art videos of all kinds, including speed drawing videos, tutorials, challenges, and other fun things!
I mostly use watercolor and Copics on the YouTube channel, but I’m also experienced in oil, digital, and 3D work. I hold a degree in Painting and Graphic Design, and another in 3D Animation!
Get in touch with Alice
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Rainingwaters/featured
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hulloalice/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/HulloAlice
“Do not stop! There are many people on the same road as you, wishing to achieve their dreams but give up along the way. So If you don’t give up you are already better off than many others.”
- Alice’s biggest decision in her art journey was the decision to go back to school. First, she graduated from a traditional art college, but she didn’t know what to do afterward, so she went traveling to Europe and Asia. She did an art residency program in Florence and she traveled Indonesia and other Asian countries. When she got back she studied animation and got animation degree. It was a scary decision because it takes money & time, but it was worth it
- Alice started her popular YouTube channel because she wanted to have more time to do her own art and YouTube art community is so supportive that she just kept going and growing.
- Alice says you should do YouTube because you love it, it’s not a profitable thing unless you have millions of followers. Don’t be intimidated to start, it is really the most supportive community out there, and she rarely gets hateful comments.
- One of her biggest inspirations was her art teacher at high school who told her “Apples and oranges”, you can’t compare yourself to other artists and “Make art, make good art”, that energy was just contagious.
- Alice’s income plan is to make 50% of YouTube/Twitch/Cons/Merch & Selling prints and 50% from her independent graphics business and freelance work for kidlit
- Alice is really grateful for her community and regularly inspires them with videos like this motivation video
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- YouTubers that inspired Alice
- Books / movies / documentaries
- Events: Denver Comicon – Fort Collins Comicon
Special thanks to Alice for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Alice Coles, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.92: Running your own design studio with Alli Koch
Alli is the founder and designer of Alli K Design. She’s been practicing her handwriting and put it to good use with Alli K Design.
Ep.52: Rosalind Davis on being an artist, curator and catalyst
Rosalind Davis is an artist-curator and a graduate of The Royal College of Art (2005) and Chelsea College of Art (2003).
Ep.72: Dave Malan on how to have a successful freelancing career with 4 kids
David is a professional artist of over 15 years. He's worked as a production artist, an illustrator, and a fine artist with clients from around the globe.
Ep.161: Linkedin tips for artists with Mitch Leeuwe
In this episode, I am chatting with Mitch Leeuwe, a 2D artist from Holland. He creates characters, backgrounds and props for web and animation shows.
Ep.140: How to get past things that hold us back with Karly Jade Catto
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Karly Jade Catto, a Character Designer, and Illustrator from Utah. Karly's clients include Hasbro, Abrams Kids, Fisher-Price, American Girl Magazine. She is currently working in children's TV Animation.