Alice is an illustrator, animator, designer, artist and a YouTuber.
She has a very popular YouTube channel where she makes art videos of all kinds, including speed drawing videos, tutorials, challenges, and other fun things!
I mostly use watercolor and Copics on the YouTube channel, but I’m also experienced in oil, digital, and 3D work. I hold a degree in Painting and Graphic Design, and another in 3D Animation!
Join Evolve Artist Program, the world’s simplest art training method with results guaranteed!
★ Use my coupon code to get a special discount
Get in touch with Alice
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Rainingwaters/featured
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hulloalice/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/HulloAlice
“Do not stop! There are many people on the same road as you, wishing to achieve their dreams but give up along the way. So If you don’t give up you are already better off than many others.”
- Alice’s biggest decision in her art journey was the decision to go back to school. First, she graduated from a traditional art college, but she didn’t know what to do afterward, so she went traveling to Europe and Asia. She did an art residency program in Florence and she traveled Indonesia and other Asian countries. When she got back she studied animation and got animation degree. It was a scary decision because it takes money & time, but it was worth it
- Alice started her popular YouTube channel because she wanted to have more time to do her own art and YouTube art community is so supportive that she just kept going and growing.
- Alice says you should do YouTube because you love it, it’s not a profitable thing unless you have millions of followers. Don’t be intimidated to start, it is really the most supportive community out there, and she rarely gets hateful comments.
- One of her biggest inspirations was her art teacher at high school who told her “Apples and oranges”, you can’t compare yourself to other artists and “Make art, make good art”, that energy was just contagious.
- Alice’s income plan is to make 50% of YouTube/Twitch/Cons/Merch & Selling prints and 50% from her independent graphics business and freelance work for kidlit
- Alice is really grateful for her community and regularly inspires them with videos like this motivation video
- YouTubers that inspired Alice
- Baylee Jae (Episode 24), Art by Karen E Haley, Miss Kerry J, Sakuems
- Sakura Pigma microns for linework
- Crayola fine super tip markers
- Daniel Smith watercolors – super pigmented
- Black velvet silver brushes – best brushes ever
- Portable painter box – in love with it
- Wacom Cintiq 13HD and Photoshop
- Books / movies / documentaries
- Concept art books – Tangled
- Movies – Disney movies
- TV Show – Dr. Who – Vincent and the Dr Doctor – Van Gogh in the future
- Events: Denver Comicon – Fort Collins Comicon
Special thanks to Alice for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Alice Coles, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.141: Don’t fear rejection and always get up with Nikolas Draper-Ivey
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Nikolas Draper-Ivey, an illustrator, and writer in NY. His work includes Star Wars and Disney Characters re-imagined as Marvel Characters. He has recently worked on the cover for Marvel’s Black Panther album!
Ep.30: Being a mom and full time artist with Simone Grünewald (Schmoedraws)
Simone Gruenewald is a digital and traditional artist from Germany. She loves to tell stories with her sketches in fantasy settings or inspired by her life.
Ep.7: From Dreamworks to successful Kickstarter campaigns with Jason Brubaker from Coffee Table Comics
Jason is a visual development and story board artist, producing graphic novels full-time. Some of his credits include Blade, Pitch Black, and Van Helsing.
Ep.48: Chloe Giordano about the art of embroidery and how to live from it
Chloe is an illustrator and graphic designer known for her animals embroidered with very fine details, so real that they seem to be sleeping on the canvas.
Ep.206: Beatrice “Bea” Blue on the importance of enjoying the journey
I am catching up with Beatrice Blue. We chat about what she has been up to since we talked last time - her time in Montreal, her new books and much more.