Kiersten Eiseman, a Florida native, is a full-time visual designer and illustrator with a focus on pop culture illustration. Her tastes vary anywhere between comics, movies, or sometimes a dark, creepy/cute style which she likes to explore concept art. She went to the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale where she achieved a Bachelor’s of Science in Illustration, working freelance and building her design and illustration skills ever since.
She uses Gweakles as her online artist name and Kiki for a more personal touch on a nickname. Most of her art activity has been on Instagram until nearly two years ago when she involved herself in the YouTube community where her following and art community grew into something she strives to keep positive, motivating, and inspirational.
Join Evolve Artist Program, the world’s simplest art training method with results guaranteed!
★ Use my coupon code to get a special discount
Get in touch with Kiki
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/gweakles
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gweakles/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/gweakles
“We are the worst critics of ourselves, so be sweet to yourself. Don’t forget why you are doing it. You do it for yourself to make yourself happy!”
- Parents didn’t support Kiki in her pursuit of art as a career. She had to overcome that and she had to fight for deciding to go to an Art school. She knew this makes her happy and she always saw how they came back from work unhappy
- Best advice Kiki received was from her professors. Unless the person understands art, they will never understand what you are going through. The next best advice was to stop comparing yourself to other people. Compare yourself to yourself and your progress
- One of the worst advice she ever got was “There is a lot of artists working in McDonalds right now”
- The best motivation for Kiki is to just make herself to do it – Jake Parker has a great video about it: Finished, not perfect.
- Some tips from Kiki on taking care of your YouTube channel. She tries to respond to every comment because she wants to make sure the community knows she is there. Another great tip is just to be yourself and be genuine on Youtube
- Kiki’s mentors: her friend – ursuladecay – she was always able to put things into perspective
- Art tools:
- She is mainly traditional artist and uses iPad Pro for practicing digital art
- iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and ProCreate App before / now MediBang Paint – she feels more free and fluid with her strokes
- Adobe Photoshop
- Copic markers
- She gets watercolors from Dickblickand Utrechtart
Special thanks to Kiki for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Kiki Eiseman, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Hi, I am Iva (rhymes with “viva”). I am a full-time self-taught artist behind Art Side of Life® and a Top Teacher on Skillshare. I have 15 years of experience in the creative field as a concept designer, illustrator, art director, and now freelance artist, content creator, and art instructor. My goal is to help you get your creative groove on with Procreate and make awesome art through practical classes, tutorials, Procreate brushes, and guides on art tools, supplies and resources. About me »
More Podcast Episodes:
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).