Georgi is an illustrator and concept artist from Sofia, Bulgaria.
He worked on concept art and matte paintings for movies such as Conan and Expendables. Also, he creates concept art and Illustrations for various clients such as Imperia Online, Murka, Fantasy Flight Games and Trazzy Entertainment.
Get in touch with Georgi
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/georgi.art/
- DeviantArt: http://goshun.deviantart.com/
- ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/goshun
“If you really want to be good at art, you have to put a lot of hours of hard work into it … and it really pays off. When I began drawing, I used to draw until 3-4am in the morning with school starting at 8 am!”
- Georgi started drawing only when he was 22. He studied law before and stopped because of art! He watched YouTube tutorials, ConceptArt.org forum and learned from there
- The worst advice he got was to complicate artworks more in the beginning, but he was not good at art yet so it only frustrated him. You need to start with fundamentals.
- His best motivation is his fans, they inspire him the most when they give him feedback
- Georgi compares working on his own and for a studio. Working on your own is great because it’s all yours and nobody pressures you. Though in a studio you learn discipline and you learn different skills from all the great people around you!
- DeviantArt/ArtStation vs Instagram. Instagram is more of life journal. You need to draw more fast stuff. He used to post his old pieces, great stuff, but nobody paid attention!!! He felt angry so he started to post quick stuff, regularly and people responded.DeviantArt and ArtStation are more serious, and he posts mostly finished and polished stuff once per month, which is totally OK
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Georgi started his art career thanks to comic Battle Chasers, a mixture of manga and American style of comics
- He has been on DeviantArt for 11 years and started by joining a contest by a famous Bulgarian artist – Svetlen Velinov who encouraged him!
- Film Studio where Georgi works as concept designer and matte painter: Nu Boyana – he has been recently working on new Hellboy movie (2018)
- Documentaries: Any National Geographic documentaries
Special thanks to Georgi for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Georgi Georgiev, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.24: Hobby that became her full time career with Baylee Jae from Baylee Creations
Baylee has been on YouTube since 2011. She creates videos related to art, like speed-paints, hauls, product reviews, tutorials, and more.
Ep.129: Why you should welcome feedback for your art with Pernille Ørum
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Pernille Ørum, a freelance illustrator and character designer from Denmark. Her clients include Disney, Warner Bros, Mattel, and Nickelodeon. She was the lead character designer on DC Superhero Girls.
Ep.147: Victoria Ying on how to make a portfolio for animation studios
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Victoria Ying, author, and artist from LA. Her film credits include Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Paperman, Big Hero 6, and Moana. She was featured in the book Lovely - Ladies in Animation.
Ep.93: Marc Brunet on how to be in charge of your own life
Marc Brunet, a Character, Concept and 3D artist and founder of Cube Brush, a platform for tutorials, tools, game & design assets.
Ep.39: Ahmed Aldoori on talent and discipline
Ahmed Aldoori graduated from Art Center College of Design with a BS in Entertainment Design. He enjoys and is very active in teaching art through YouTube.
Ep.141: Don’t fear rejection and always get up with Nikolas Draper-Ivey
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Nikolas Draper-Ivey, an illustrator, and writer in NY. His work includes Star Wars and Disney Characters re-imagined as Marvel Characters. He has recently worked on the cover for Marvel’s Black Panther album!