Georgi is an illustrator and concept artist from Sofia, Bulgaria.
He worked on concept art and matte paintings for movies such as Conan and Expendables. Also, he creates concept art and Illustrations for various clients such as Imperia Online, Murka, Fantasy Flight Games and Trazzy Entertainment.
Get in touch with Georgi
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/georgi.art/
- DeviantArt: http://goshun.deviantart.com/
- ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/goshun
“If you really want to be good at art, you have to put a lot of hours of hard work into it … and it really pays off. When I began drawing, I used to draw until 3-4am in the morning with school starting at 8 am!”
- Georgi started drawing only when he was 22. He studied law before and stopped because of art! He watched YouTube tutorials, ConceptArt.org forum and learned from there
- The worst advice he got was to complicate artworks more in the beginning, but he was not good at art yet so it only frustrated him. You need to start with fundamentals.
- His best motivation is his fans, they inspire him the most when they give him feedback
- Georgi compares working on his own and for a studio. Working on your own is great because it’s all yours and nobody pressures you. Though in a studio you learn discipline and you learn different skills from all the great people around you!
- DeviantArt/ArtStation vs Instagram. Instagram is more of life journal. You need to draw more fast stuff. He used to post his old pieces, great stuff, but nobody paid attention!!! He felt angry so he started to post quick stuff, regularly and people responded.DeviantArt and ArtStation are more serious, and he posts mostly finished and polished stuff once per month, which is totally OK
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Georgi started his art career thanks to comic Battle Chasers, a mixture of manga and American style of comics
- He has been on DeviantArt for 11 years and started by joining a contest by a famous Bulgarian artist – Svetlen Velinov who encouraged him!
- Film Studio where Georgi works as concept designer and matte painter: Nu Boyana – he has been recently working on new Hellboy movie (2018)
- Documentaries: Any National Geographic documentaries
Special thanks to Georgi for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Georgi Georgiev, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.153: How much should I charge for my art with Lei Melendres (Doodle Art Enthusiasts)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lei Melendres, a freelance illustrator, and professional doodle artist from the Philippines. He currently serves as the Head of Doodle Art Enthusiasts, and as a Creative Director of Doodle Arts Magazine.
Ep.205: Art licensing tips with Bonnie Christine
Bonnie Christine, an artist and pattern & textile designer. She is most known for her flowery designs, making artworks for companies & products.
Ep.154: Should I be a freelancer or work for a studio with Richard Anderson
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Richard Anderson, a freelance concept artist, in London. He works on games, films, commercials and publishing with clients such as Marvel Studios, Warner Bros, Universal Pictures, 20th Century FOX, and others.
Ep.182: About the power of fundamentals with Lucas Graciano
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Lucas Graciano, an award-winning freelance artist teaching at Watts Atelier in California. He focuses on fantasy illustration doing book covers, card art, and other promotional works.
Ep.128: Be a student of life with Brian Ajhar
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Brian Ajhar, a character designer, illustrator, and storyteller. His art career has spanned 3 decades and his clients include magazines, newspapers, advertising agencies, corporations, and book publishers.