Gene is a highly accomplished and awarded children’s book author and illustrator, animator and character designer. He graduated from New York University: Tisch School of Arts with a BFA in film studies.
Gene is also the older brother of Muppet performer, writer, and director, Bill Barretta.
“What are they doing now?” That was the popular question around my house and neighborhood. It was not unusual to see my brother Billy and me dressed up in homemade costumes – filming Super 8mm dramas – attempting risky stunts in the ravine – animating GI Joes and weird-looking clay figures – building and performing clunky puppets – drawing offbeat comics and imitating The Beatles.
Gene began illustrating mass-market and novelty books in 2000 and eventually transitioned to picture books into 2003. He has also contributed to children’s magazines such as Cobblestone, Odyssey, Faces, and Appleseeds.
Get in touch with Gene
Special offers for Art Side of Life visitors
- 💎How to Make Money as an Artist (Course) – learn to make money as an artist and live a creative career you will love
- 🎓Evolve Artist Program – better than an art college education and only at a fraction of the cost – World’s Simplest Art Training Method (I am Evolve’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
- 🎨 Storytelling with Color and Light (Course) – make your artworks more believable and appealing
- 🎧 Audible – 2 FREE audiobooks – learn by listening to hundreds of books (I am Audible’s affiliate partner, which means I will get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use this link to make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Art Side of Life)
“Don’t limit yourself. Stay connected. Get out to as many events as possible. Try to work every day, keep your imagination and skills fresh. Stay optimistic, develop a tough skin and be prepared for rejection”
- When Gene decided to do art full time, his wife was working and they made conscious effort that he will dedicate himself to this full time. After that, he made concentrated effort to put portfolio together for picture books and he worked on it hard
- Best advice he got from his uncle: “When you go through the life, make a wide path, let them know you have been here …” Career wise, the best advice is to keep your “tentacles” out in all directions. Don’t get your heart set on one path, because it’s such an competitive field that the right path might not reveal itself at least not at the start
- His creative approach is to look for the way to get the core information to the kids artbooks in entertaining and enjoyable way – makes it more accessible to elementary school children, so they are excited. He wants them to be interested in the subject so they get to pick another book about it …
- Favourite quote – “1% inspiration and 99% perspiration”
Note: some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- The Jim Henson company – The Muppets
- Society of children’s books writers and illustrators
- Gene’s books
- Illustrator Gene works with Frank Morrison
- Winsor & Newton watercolors
Thanks for Watching and Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment or ask a question in the comments section below
- Share this show on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest
Help out to reach more aspiring artists:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Subscribe on iTunes and YouTube
Special thanks to Gene for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Gene Barretta, used with permission