Geneva Benton, also known as GDBee, currently residing in peaceful Western North Carolina, is a self-taught freelancing illustrator, who specializes in character art and portraits with a fondness for color mixing.
I love evoking a feeling with art!
She has been featured in ImagineFX, Advanced Photoshop Issue, Crossed Genres Magazine, Photoshop Creative, The Horror Zine, FIYAH Literary Magazine, ARTIFICIAL, and Dulce.
Get in touch with Geneva
- Website: https://www.genevab.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gdbee/
- Patreon: http://patreon.com/gdbee
“Chill out, find out what works for you! You may feel you are not doing it at the moment, but you will, so just keep going!”
- Geneva didn’t think she will do art for living, she actually thought she would play video games for living
- She was inspired by a colorful art of Benjamin Zhang
- Geneva found a gallery to display her art in by just walking in one of the ones in downtown. She asked them if they were looking for new artists and they added her to a list and later she was able to exhibit her artworks
- Geneva is shy to talk to people in real life so it’s great for her to use Twitch and interact with her audience online
- Before starting, Geneva wishes she knew to not try to be perfect and to get frustrated with it. You shouldn’t really stress out because it affects your health
- Fav quote is from Neil Gaiman – “Do a good work and everything good will follow”
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through some links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info: our disclosure.
- Geneva’s latest Kickstarter:
- Geneva’s Art Book Tournesol – thick book, couple of tutorials and sketches – Jul 2017
- 80 pages, soft cover, full color
- Her inspiration are a lot of artists online she wishes she could meet sometime:
- Events – Anime in Atlanta
- Fav movie: Ponyo – Studio Ghibli – visual a masterpiece – there are no straight lines in the movie
- Business tool – Intuit Quickbooks – taxes – saves a lot of time!
Special thanks to Geneva for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Geneva Benton, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.176: You learn as you go with Cameron Knight (Cliques)
In this episode, I am chatting with Cameron Knight, a freelance Illustrator known for drawing comics. He is working on own comic called Cliques, which follows 4 best friends living in a city where the population use weapons called Saber edges.
Ep.127: How to get clients with Amanda and Gus from Limetown Studios
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Amanda & Gus from Limetown Studios in Brazil. Gus does concepts and Amanda does color, light and digital painting. They work with 2D illustration and games - online, mobile, consoles, board and card games.
Ep.50: Drawing Disney fanart and finding your own style with Dylan Bonner
Dylan is an amazing illustrator and freelance artist from Michigan. He is most known for his lovely mermaids, Disney fanart, and comics.
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.84: Making your dreams come true with Angela Jarman from Fancy Fairy
Angela has been making and selling fairy wings for over 10 years, and as a sole proprietor for 7 of them.Her wings have been used in Victoria Secret fashion shows, on Katy Perry in Every Day is a Holiday, Music video and in multiple fine art photography projects.