Gabriel is a freelance illustrator and comic artist from Brazil. He grew an immense following during his online 365-day creative challenge called #365daysofdoodle, where he posted new artistic musings daily.
As he says “… I am the guy who skipped art education trying to make art as a living. This thought haunts me more than I would like to admit.” That’s why, since last year, he has been focusing on learning everything from scratch: fundamentals such as anatomy, perspective, grayscale values, color theory and so on.
He has just released his first coloring book: Celestial: A Colorable Zodiac Journal where he applies his whimsical illustrative style to the various traits of the zodiacs.
Get in touch with Picolo
“Work on your stuff, create nice stories, do a lot of kind of artwork. It’s not enough only to do the best artwork, but you need to go deeper and challenge yourself. Even if you are not technically sound, if your story is good, you are there! You are touching on emotions if you are able to talk to people with your art”
- #365daysofdoodles was a Kickstarter of his career. He started getting clients thanks to it. His own procrastination and laziness inspired him to do it because after the college he found himself in the ‘adult’ life and didn’t have much time to draw
- Going freelance full-time was pretty crazy if you think about it. A lot of people are afraid to make the first step, so Picolo advises, if you want to start freelancing, save up some money to back yourself up against slow months
- Picolo always tries to do only 1 job at the time, so he is scheduling his clients in that way. Full focus, even if it’s only for a short time
- He takes projects where he can draw a really good story – comics, character design
- Art is a way of communicating. He is not good with words and writing, so drawing is his way to communicate, to tell stories … it’s very basic and simple
- “Win every day” (adapted from Portuguese) – try to be the best you can be each day and take each day as it comes!
- DC Comics
- Art tools:
- You can meet Picolo at ComicCon XP in Brazil – December 7-10, 2017
- Gabriel Picolo: Celestial: A Colorable Zodiac Journal
- Mateus Nestre: Framed Ink – a composition bible
- Mike Mattesi: FORCE: Drawing Human Anatomy – a series of books
Special thanks to Picolo for joining me today. See you next time!
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.39: Ahmed Aldoori on talent and discipline
Ahmed Aldoori graduated from Art Center College of Design with a BS in Entertainment Design. He enjoys and is very active in teaching art through YouTube.
Ep.195: How to implement art in business with Holly Fae
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Holly Fae an artist and entrepreneur with a wealthy knowledge of how to make a living with your art. Enjoy!!
Ep.95: Creating fantasy worlds with Jonas Jodicke aka JoJoe
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Jonas Jödicke, aka JoJoe from Germany. He is a freelance digital artist, fascinated by the worlds of fantasy and magic, the contrast between light/dark or good/evil which he portraits in his artworks.
Ep.78: The path of an artist with Sebastien Le Divenah
Sébastien is a French concept artist, illustrator, and art director currently working at Supamonks studio and in the animation film industry.
Ep.35: Why you should take advice from people who are where you want to be with Lord Gris
Lord Gris is a Game assets designer. She creates most of her artworks digitally and she also produces prints and stickers from her creations.