Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Aiman Akhtar, a freelance 3D Artist who specializes in character development and 3D print design. He is the creator of a toy line Fungisaurs, the cute hybrid of dinosaurs and mushrooms.
Get in touch with Aiman
“Get comfortable doing lots of different jobs – social media, marketing, legalities, accounting – nothing to do with art, but you have to get comfortable to succeed”
- In Chicago in 2008, during the recession, Aiman honed his 3D skills, but became also a generalist artist, he learned everything on the job – business, marketing and it helped him once he moved to LA
- When Aiman moved to LA, he networked as much as possible. The more he networked, the more opportunities came his way. He just stayed in touch with people and reached out to them with new work every couple of months. They saw his progress and when they had a job opportunity instead of publishing the job ad they reached out to him first
- Working on Fungisaurs, Aiman mentions that he wishes he knew how much marketing is needed, how much prework, strategy, press, magazines, publications. It’s a lot of hustle hustle hustle.
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Aiman’s toyline: Fungisaurs
- 3D learning resources
- Jurassic Park – Aiman’s all-time favorite movie and inspiration for his career
Special thanks to Aiman for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Aiman Akhtar, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.156: How to get into animation industry with Martin Wittig
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Martin Wittig, is a character designer and animator in LA. He has been in the animation industry for 22 years, working as a character designer at Disney TV, Dreamworks, Blue Sky Studios, CN, Laika, and others.
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.127: How to get clients with Amanda and Gus from Limetown Studios
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Amanda & Gus from Limetown Studios in Brazil. Gus does concepts and Amanda does color, light and digital painting. They work with 2D illustration and games - online, mobile, consoles, board and card games.
Ep.163: Ester Conceicao aka Tehchan on how to do stylized drawing
In this episode, I am chatting with Ester Conceicao aka Tehchan, a concept artist, and illustrator. She is most known for her illustrations of animals.
Ep.112: Ashley Spires on how to choose your art agent
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ashley Spires, a children books Author and illustrator. She has published more than 20 books and worked with clients like Penguin Random House and Kids Can Press. She is the creator of the Binky The Space Cat.