Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Aiman Akhtar, a freelance 3D Artist who specializes in character development and 3D print design. He is the creator of a toy line Fungisaurs, the cute hybrid of dinosaurs and mushrooms.
Get in touch with Aiman
“Get comfortable doing lots of different jobs – social media, marketing, legalities, accounting – nothing to do with art, but you have to get comfortable to succeed”
- In Chicago in 2008, during the recession, Aiman honed his 3D skills, but became also a generalist artist, he learned everything on the job – business, marketing and it helped him once he moved to LA
- When Aiman moved to LA, he networked as much as possible. The more he networked, the more opportunities came his way. He just stayed in touch with people and reached out to them with new work every couple of months. They saw his progress and when they had a job opportunity instead of publishing the job ad they reached out to him first
- Working on Fungisaurs, Aiman mentions that he wishes he knew how much marketing is needed, how much prework, strategy, press, magazines, publications. It’s a lot of hustle hustle hustle.
💡 Please note: We are supported by our readers. When you purchase through some links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you! For more info: our disclosure.
- Aiman’s toyline: Fungisaurs
- 3D learning resources
- Jurassic Park – Aiman’s all-time favorite movie and inspiration for his career
Special thanks to Aiman for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Aiman Akhtar, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.79: The vision behind your brand with Sarah Amijo (Big Bear and Bird)
Sarah is the founder of Big Bear & Bird store based in Indonesia. Her aim is to create one-of-a-kind illustrations and exquisitely unique design ideas.
Ep.5: About Manga art and hard work with Asia Ladowska
Asia Ladowska is a designer & illustrator based in the UK. She creates amazing characters inspired by Manga and created by either pencils or Copic markers
Ep.72: Dave Malan on how to have a successful freelancing career with 4 kids
David is a professional artist of over 15 years. He's worked as a production artist, an illustrator, and a fine artist with clients from around the globe.
Ep.37: Why going to art school might not be the best for you with Chantal Horeis
Chantal is an Illustrator and concept artist from Germany. She attended the Art Academy in Düsseldorf, where she trained to draw and paint traditionally.
Ep.115: Bryan Mark Taylor on being a plein air artist
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Bryan Mark Taylor, a painter, lecturer, inventor and world traveler! He is most known for his plein air paintings and his work has been featured in Fine Art Connoisseur, Plein Air, and other publications.
Ep.138: Piper Thibodeau on creating fantasy characters
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Piper Thibodeau, a freelance character designer, and illustrator who is most known for painting cute animals and critters and has worked with clients like Nickelodeon, CGMA, Concept Cookie and DreamWorks.