Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Francis Boncales, a Concept Artist, Illustrator, Visdev artist currently working as a background painter in Warner Bros Animation. He has also worked for Hasbro Studios, Mrs. Wordsmith, Duncan Studio.
Get in touch with Francis
- Website: https://francisboncales.carbonmade.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/francisboncales/
- ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/francisboncales
“Everyone has to struggle through their experiences. It’s those experiences that make you a better artists!”
“Focus on the foundation, try to simplify and only then build up.”
- When he was younger, Francis only cared about music and nothing else. His grades were not good enough for going to art school. At some point his passion for art and animation got sparked and he decided to go for it, improving his grades, getting into community college and after that applying for design schools. He got to Rhode Island School of Design in NY.
- When in college, he was super impatient to study fundamentals. He was so focused to find his style that he overlooked fundamentals. He learned only one year ago he to break off of it. Francis advises that you will find your style no matter what because you already have it, you shouldn’t’ focus on style too much, you can’t copy somebody else, you need to learn the fundamentals first, work at your own pace
- When working in a studio, Francis would study and create every night. He always thought, the day is not wasted when I am working hard every day
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- Francis’ inspirations
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Book: James Gurney: Color & Light
- Courses: Nathan Fowkes, Dice Tsutsumi at Schoolism
- Art tools
Special thanks to Francis for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Francis Boncales, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.139: Chris Ayers on what makes a great character designer
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Chris Ayers, a Character Designer, and Story Artist from LA. He has worked with Dreamworks, Sony Pictures, Disney TV and others. He is known for his book series Daily Zoo, drawing one animal a day.
Ep.144: Write and illustrate your own book series with Ruby Roth
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ruby Roth, artist, designer, and the author-illustrator of four books for kids on veganism. Ruby focuses on art direction, and illustration for clients in fashion, art, music, and entertainment.
Ep.135: Zac Retz on waking up at 4am and following your dreams
Zac Retz, a visdev artist working in film and game industry with SONY Pictures Animation, Dreamworks, Laika, and others. He is most known for his real-life observation paintings on his Instagram.
Ep.49: Lena Danya on being a full time oil artist and YouTuber
Lena is a full-time fine artist living in Florida. She is mostly known for painting natural scenes with oil paints her YouTube channel.
Ep.173: How to develop your art style with Ilse Harting
Ilse Harting, a Freelancer Illustrator and Concept Artist from the Netherlands who is known for her fantasy character creations and illustrations.