Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Francis Boncales, a Concept Artist, Illustrator, Visdev artist currently working as a background painter in Warner Bros Animation. He has also worked for Hasbro Studios, Mrs. Wordsmith, Duncan Studio.
Get in touch with Francis
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/francisboncales/
- ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/francisboncales
“Everyone has to struggle through their experiences. It’s those experiences that make you a better artists!”
“Focus on the foundation, try to simplify and only then build up.”
- When he was younger, Francis only cared about music and nothing else. His grades were not good enough for going to art school. At some point his passion for art and animation got sparked and he decided to go for it, improving his grades, getting into community college and after that applying for design schools. He got to Rhode Island School of Design in NY.
- When in college, he was super impatient to study fundamentals. He was so focused to find his style that he overlooked fundamentals. He learned only one year ago he to break off of it. Francis advises that you will find your style no matter what because you already have it, you shouldn’t’ focus on style too much, you can’t copy somebody else, you need to learn the fundamentals first, work at your own pace
- When working in a studio, Francis would study and create every night. He always thought, the day is not wasted when I am working hard every day
If you like listening more than reading, Audible is for you!
Get your 1 FREE Audiobook and free access to Audible Originals library for 30-days with this special offer!
- Francis’ inspirations
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Book: James Gurney: Color & Light
- Courses: Nathan Fowkes, Dice Tsutsumi at Schoolism
- Art tools
Special thanks to Francis for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Francis Boncales, used with permission