Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Felipe Machado, a digital illustrator and concept artist from Colombia who is most known for doing the cover art for music bands and working for Lucas Films. He runs Blank Atelier and Colectivo Tajalapiz.
Get in touch with Felipe
In this course, you will learn about 17 proven ways how you can make money as an artist. And there is more! The possibilities will grow exponentially if you combine them all!
“Concentrate on what you really love, because that’s the only place where you will shine!”
“Sometimes a slap in the face is the best motivation!”
- Felipe got job in Lucasfilms by having the good luck being in the portfolio review by an Art Director who asked him about his personal portfolio, full of his cover arts for the bands, the stuff he liked to do and thus the sincere part of art for him.
- Felipe mentions the different value of a ‘digital file’ when it comes to artwork for bands. Some rock bands go only for traditional art
- Felipe organizes workshops with artists from all around the world. He had to learn the business side of things, balancing the break-even point, organization matters, such as insurance and other things that don’t come to you naturally if you are not in this type of projects
- Some of the bands Felipe works with
- Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Iced Earth and Iron Savior
- Companies: LucasFilm, Sideshow Collectibles and Deep Within Management
- Pasadena Concept Design Academy – open format way of learning, workshops
- Projects Felipe is running
Special thanks to Felipe for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Felipe Machado, used with permission