Eliza Ivanova, originally from Sofia, Bulgaria is an animator and illustrator based in San Francisco and currently working with Pixar Animation Studios. Her feature film credits include The Good Dinosaur (2015), Inside Out (2015), Monsters University (2013), Brave (2012) and Cars 2 (2011), as well as short films Toy Story of Terror and The Dam Keeper.
Her website consists primarily of personal sketches, which, although few finished, are delightfully drawn with a lively variety of line weights and energetic textural additions.
Get in touch with Eliza
“Don’t quit, don’t give up your talent”
- Her goal was always to become an artists and she just went for it
- Her advice to young artists is to be consistent and if you decide to do something, then do it; sometimes you feel you are going nowhere, but you have to realize you already done so much
- She wishes that she would experiment more early on in her career – try this, try that, instead of being an art snob – now she is a ‘sponge’ again, embracing techniques
- What to put into an animation reel? Put your strongest stuff first and last; Middle – stuff that shows you know about fundamentals; show your skills in storytelling, entertainment, and personal interests
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- The art teacher that taught Eliza – Garo Muradyan in Sofia, Bulgaria
- California Institute of the Arts
- Art Book(s):
- Books on Egon Schiele – major figurative painter of 20th century
- Books on Gustav Klimt – prominent member of Secession movement
- Books on Ilya Repin – Russian realist painter
- Book by the Russian Art Academy – Academic Drawings and Sketches
- Robert L. Herbert – Impressionism – Art, Leisure and Parisian Society
- Picasso: The Early Years
- Movie: Midgame by Studio 4C in Japan
- The blending stick – Any brand! I also make my own which is very easy (there are plenty of tutorials online)
Special thanks to Eliza for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Eliza Ivanova, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.202: Choosing the right art education with Daniel Folta (Evolve Artist)
Daniel Folta, a classical oil painter from The Art Academy and Evolve Artist program talks about his experiences of choosing the right art education.
Ep.92: Running your own design studio with Alli Koch
Alli is the founder and designer of Alli K Design. She’s been practicing her handwriting and put it to good use with Alli K Design.
Ep.144: Write and illustrate your own book series with Ruby Roth
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Ruby Roth, artist, designer, and the author-illustrator of four books for kids on veganism. Ruby focuses on art direction, and illustration for clients in fashion, art, music, and entertainment.
Ep.186: Part 1 – How to get noticed as an artist on social media with Sweeney Boo
Hey, guys! In this episode split into two parts, I am chatting with Sweeney Boo, a freelance artist from Canada known for her graphic novel “Eat and Love Yourself”.
Ep.39: Ahmed Aldoori on talent and discipline
Ahmed Aldoori graduated from Art Center College of Design with a BS in Entertainment Design. He enjoys and is very active in teaching art through YouTube.