Dylan Bonner is an amazing illustrator and freelance artist from Michigan, United States. He graduated from Ringling College of Art in Florida. He is most known for his lovely mermaids, Disney fanart, and comics. His use of shapes and colors is awesome and his illustrations are full of life and joy. They make me smile every time I look at them! He contributed to the project Rescue Sirens by Jessica and Chris Sanders and his work was also featured in BuzzFeed when he drew one gentleman’s girlfriend into Disney princesses 🙂
Get in touch with Dylan
- DeviantArt: https://dylanbonner.deviantart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dylanbonner90/
- Society6: https://society6.com/dylanbonner
“If you are feeling stressed about your artwork or if it’s not coming together, just take a deep breath. It will happen when it is meant to happen. You got your own pace so do what feels natural to you.”
- For Dylan, the college was a portfolio prep work
- Dylan struggled a little bit to find his own style because in college every piece looked like it was done by a different artist. He took inspiration from the book Lovely and from Lorelay Bove pieces and he tried to see what he likes about it and what he wants to take and apply for his own stuff.
- Best advice to find your own style is to find a blend between your art and art you like, study the fundamentals, study other artists and blend it all together
- Dylan takes his social media following as a support base. When he went freelance, he had 10k fans. He recommends doing fan art to build up a fanbase
- As a freelancer, Dylan always saves up for the ‘dry’ weeks. This helps him to manage the budget better.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- University which Dylan attended: Ringling College
- Lorelay Bove – one of the artists from whom Dylan took his inspiration
- Books for artistic inspiration
- Art tools:
Special thanks to Dylan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Dylan Bonner, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.110: Johanna Tarkela on motivation in the moments of self-doubt
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Johanna Tarkela, a self-taught artist from Finland, now residing in the UK. With a big love for the natural world and fantasy creatures, she works in digital media and creates believable atmospheric work.
Ep.147: Victoria Ying on how to make a portfolio for animation studios
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Victoria Ying, author, and artist from LA. Her film credits include Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Paperman, Big Hero 6, and Moana. She was featured in the book Lovely - Ladies in Animation.
Ep.100: About the legacy of your work with Daniel Lieske (Wormworld Saga)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Daniel Lieske, a full-time author, and illustrator, known for his famous digital graphic novel Wormworld saga. He is also the founder of digitalartforum.de one of the biggest German digital art community.
Ep.122: How to start an art business, with Stephanie Krist (Fired Figments)
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Stephanie Krist, the owner of Fired Figments, a handcrafted ceramics. She studied Studio Art and business administration. Stephanie sells her fantasy dragon creations online and on art shows.
Ep.56: Geneva Benton on colors inspiration, galleries and living from art full time
Geneva is a self-taught freelancing illustrator, who specializes in character art and portraits with a fondness for color mixing.