Dylan Bonner is an amazing illustrator and freelance artist from Michigan, United States. He graduated from Ringling College of Art in Florida. He is most known for his lovely mermaids, Disney fanart, and comics. His use of shapes and colors is awesome and his illustrations are full of life and joy. They make me smile every time I look at them! He contributed to the project Rescue Sirens by Jessica and Chris Sanders and his work was also featured in BuzzFeed when he drew one gentleman’s girlfriend into Disney princesses 🙂
Get in touch with Dylan
- DeviantArt: https://dylanbonner.deviantart.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dylanbonner90/
- Society6: https://society6.com/dylanbonner
“If you are feeling stressed about your artwork or if it’s not coming together, just take a deep breath. It will happen when it is meant to happen. You got your own pace so do what feels natural to you.”
- For Dylan, the college was a portfolio prep work
- Dylan struggled a little bit to find his own style because in college every piece looked like it was done by a different artist. He took inspiration from the book Lovely and from Lorelay Bove pieces and he tried to see what he likes about it and what he wants to take and apply for his own stuff.
- Best advice to find your own style is to find a blend between your art and art you like, study the fundamentals, study other artists and blend it all together
- Dylan takes his social media following as a support base. When he went freelance, he had 10k fans. He recommends doing fan art to build up a fanbase
- As a freelancer, Dylan always saves up for the ‘dry’ weeks. This helps him to manage the budget better.
- University which Dylan attended: Ringling College
- Lorelay Bove – one of the artists from whom Dylan took his inspiration
- Books for artistic inspiration
- Art tools:
Special thanks to Dylan for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Dylan Bonner, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Hi, I am Iva (rhymes with “viva”). I am a full-time self-taught artist behind Art Side of Life® and a Top Teacher on Skillshare. I have 15 years of experience in the creative field as a concept designer, illustrator, art director, and now freelance artist, content creator, and art instructor. My goal is to help you get your creative groove on with Procreate and make awesome art through practical classes, tutorials, Procreate brushes, and guides on art tools, supplies and resources. About me »
More Podcast Episodes:
Evolve Artist Academy: From Aspiring Artist To Success Story with Piper Talladay
Discover how Piper, head instructor at Evolve Artist Academy, helps aspiring artists turn their dreams into success stories in the world of oil painting.
Ep.210: Interview with community members – Donovan, Visi and Keshna (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway - Donovan (fantasy artist, Texas), Visi (Illustrator, Colorado) and Keshna (Illustrator, New Jersey).
Ep.209: Interview with community members – Alex and Petar (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Alex (graphic designer from Poland) and Petar (3D artist from North Macedonia).
Ep.208: Interview with community members – María and Manuel (YouTube 20k subs giveaway)
Special episode with the winners of the YouTube 20k giveaway. I chat with Manuel (concept artist from Argentina) and María (Comics artist from Mexico).
Ep.207: On being a Creative Director, Illustrator, and Educator with Greg Gunn
I am chatting with Greg Gunn. He is a creative director, illustrator, and animator from LA. He helps passionate people communicate their big ideas.
Ep.206: Beatrice “Bea” Blue on the importance of enjoying the journey
I am catching up with Beatrice Blue. We chat about what she has been up to since we talked last time - her time in Montreal, her new books and much more.
Ep.205: Art licensing tips with Bonnie Christine
Bonnie Christine, an artist and pattern & textile designer. She is most known for her flowery designs, making artworks for companies & products.
Ep.204: Illustration for Motion Design with Sarah Beth Morgan
Sarah Beth Morgan, a freelance art director, motion designer & illustrator based in Portland. She has worked with Gentleman Scholar and Oddfellows.