Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Devon Cady-Lee, a freelance Character designer and Concept Artist living in Seattle. He has worked for studios like Warner Bros Turbine, Wizard of the Coast, and latest being Motiga games Gigantic!
Get in touch with Devon
“You will always have to sacrifice part of your integrity for commercial projects, but draw for yourself, be an artist for yourself, not the other people!”
- In his first job, Devon tried really hard to prove he can work in a professional environment – he took it very seriously, went full steam ahead, stayed late, doing overtimes.
- Since then he learned to “pace” himself. He now meters how much investment to put in a project. If you love the project, you gotta invest your everything, but sometimes it may backfire and you have to pick your battles
- Devon has a weird history of working for many studios which shut down, but he got to know amazingly talented artists in high profile companies. When he needs next project, he can just hit them up and ask what’s happening.
💡 Please note: This article may include affiliate links. When you buy through those links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! For more info, please read our disclosure.
- The latest game Devon worked on: Gigantic
- Burne Hogarth books on anatomy
- Art tools
- Schools considered Parsons, Cooper, SBA, RISD
- Focus@Will music – scientific music for full focus
Special thanks to Devon for joining me today. See you next time!
All artworks by Devon Cady-Lee, used with permission
Click Here For The Episode Transcript
Ep.156: How to get into animation industry with Martin Wittig
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Martin Wittig, is a character designer and animator in LA. He has been in the animation industry for 22 years, working as a character designer at Disney TV, Dreamworks, Blue Sky Studios, CN, Laika, and others.
Ep.159: How to make it as a foreign artist in Japan with Mateusz Urbanowicz
Mateusz Urbanowicz, a full-time freelance BG artist, illustrator, animation director. Among other projects he also worked on the movie "Your name".
Ep.130: Learn something new everyday with Francis Boncales
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Francis Boncales, a Concept Artist, Illustrator, Visdev artist currently working as a background painter in Warner Bros Animation. He has also worked for Hasbro Studios, Mrs. Wordsmith, Duncan Studio.
Ep.71: How to make the best out of every situation with Bea Blue
Bea is an illustrator and vizdev artist from Spain. She is a freelance artist and she works in children's literature illustration and in DreamWorks.
Ep.128: Be a student of life with Brian Ajhar
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Brian Ajhar, a character designer, illustrator, and storyteller. His art career has spanned 3 decades and his clients include magazines, newspapers, advertising agencies, corporations, and book publishers.
Ep.123: How to improve your skills fast with Brett Bean from Drawn To It Studios
Hey, guys! In this episode, I am chatting with Brett Bean, a Character Designer, Visdev Artist, and teacher. He is the owner of Drawn To It Studios, creating original content and outsourcing for clients like Disney, Dreamworks, Riot Games, and Marvel.